Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

97 XJ is bogging down

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecrab3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: 97 XJ is bogging down Reply with quote

OK, I think this is a common problem. STarted recently and the damm problem is intermittant Evil or Very Mad

When I give it some gas, it stutters and bogs down until I let of the pedal.

Gas tank is almost full, air filter is clean and the cat doesnt have a rattle to it. Any idears what it is and how to fix it?

specs, 97 xj, auto, bored tb, no other engine mods around 97K
thanks
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar "might need a tune up" problem with my 99... What I did was take off the air in take tube that comes from the airbox and cleaned out the throttle body from the top. Spray some Air Intake cleaner in the TB while its running and if it dies just wait a sec and start it again. I also cleaned out the AIS (Air Input Sensor) which is on the side of the TB. Mine was full of carbon and I cleaned it out as well. If all else fails it might need its TPS sensor replaced. If the TPS sensor goes bad then it will run really rough anyways. How many miles are on it?? If you have not replaced the plugs and wires then now would be a good time.
OR it might need a bottle of fuel system cleaner if you got some bad gas along the way somewhere...

Good luck with it... CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tune 'er up, clean out the TB and check the AIS and TPS sensors.

Also, have you pulled the codes? That might point you in the right direction too. http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2719

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually funny....mine started doing the exact same thing after our trail ride on Sat. I pulled the codes and got a 24 - Throttle position sensor over 4.96V. I'm gonna pick up a new TPS tomorrow...

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DARN THOSE TPS SENSORS!!! DARN THEM TO HELL!!!!

Replacing mine this weekend..... CoreyXJ

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the new TPS and put the TB back on yesterday morning. I decided to replace the MAP sensor and IAC Valve while I was at it. The Funk Master is purring like a contented kitten again...now the real work can begin.

Quote:
Nathan_Ouimet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are those MAP sensors? I think I am going to have to replace mine as well. Is there anything to it or is it just a derect swap?
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it all started with my TJ and it is now passing through to you guys. Damn those TPS sensors and 2 gallons of murky water in your engine

My Morning Jacket
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MAP sensor was $80 at Autozone...if I shopped around I prolly could have found it for less online someplace, but I needed it then and there.

KTJ...only you ended up with murky water in yer TB. I'm still not sure what was up with that. rofl

Quote:
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... Coolant and water go in the Radiator NOT the air filter....

Anyways- Over this past weekend my Heep was having a problem idleing when it first started in the morning. I was planning on replacing the Throttle Position Sensor anyways because it wasn't running smooth. Went ahead and replaced the TPS sensor and cleaned the Air Input Sensor. Bad idea... When I cleaned the AIS, I ruined it. So I had to buy a new one. In just one short weekend...I sumped over $100 in my throttle body!!!!
KTJ started the TB curse. Thanks a lot!
CoreyXJ

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoreyXJ wrote:
OK... Coolant and water go in the Radiator NOT the air filter....

Anyways- Over this past weekend my Heep was having a problem idleing when it first started in the morning. I was planning on replacing the Throttle Position Sensor anyways because it wasn't running smooth. Went ahead and replaced the TPS sensor and cleaned the Air Input Sensor. Bad idea... When I cleaned the AIS, I ruined it. So I had to buy a new one. In just one short weekend...I sumped over $100 in my throttle body!!!!
KTJ started the TB curse. Thanks a lot!
CoreyXJ

rofl

I ended up dropping closer to $180...TPS, MAP and AIS sensors along with some gasket paper (had to cut those godforsaken things myself). Damn that KTJ...damn him. Finger

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: