Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here,need some info on shocks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: New here,need some info on shocks Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
My name is Fridrik I live in Iceland and I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2l and I need new shocks for it and just wondered if anyone here has tried these Edelbrock shocks here is the Summitracing description thanks:
The world's smartest shock.

Shock/Strut, Performer IAS, Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4WD, Front, Each

Edelbrock Performer IAS Mono-Tube shocks use a patented inertia-activated valve that instantly adjusts to driving conditions. It's simple enough: On smooth terrain, the valve closes to give you a firm ride, excellent cornering, and reduced body sway. Under rough conditions, the valve opens to make the shocks softer and more responsive. So your wheels follow the contour of the driving surface, for a smoother off-road ride. These shocks use polyurethane bushings for added responsiveness, and their high-pressure mono-tube design eliminates oil foaming and dissipates heat more effectively. Other features include nitro-steel piston rods, heavy-duty welds, and an attractive red powdercoat finish.

Vendor Edelbrock
Product Line Edelbrock Performer IAS Mono-Tube Shocks
Internal Design Monotube
Adjustable No
Gas Charged Yes
Bushing Material Polyurethane
Bushing Color Black
Boot Included Yes
Boot Color Black

1976 Trans Am
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/531601
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shocks they will give you a super nice ride..
Worth the money..

ON the other hand .. I replaced mine with Ranchos and tore them to pieces in a week... Very Happy

I have a buddy that just moved to Sweden..

No ... I dont have a point ..... Just saying... Mr. Green Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seanpv

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have these shock on my jeep. They provide a stiffer ride, but mine have worn out already. I don't know if there worth the price. If your just street driving there fine, but for offroad I would pick another brand.
Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you recommend another shocks then the edelbrock ones?
1976 Trans Am
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have broken ranchos and I have seen the doetch tech shocks go to hell in less than a year of road driving so lets see ... That leaves................Ummmm................................ Confused Confused

Well Others have had good results with Rancho shocks .. ANd I have heard about the Edelbrock stifening the ride some.. (Didnt seem like a bad thing to me..) I know lots of guys that are running monroe shocks.. I myself and running Gabriel Ultra's... They are fine for me and they are cheap and easy to find.. Most autoparts stores stock them...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
seanpv

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on how your gonna treat your jeep. My edelbrock shocks are worn because I've jumped it a couple of times(probably when I shouldn't have!!) and have had some other driveline problems. So I think they've had some extranious wear.

I liked them when I first put the shocks on, gave it more of a stuck on the road car feeling. But if your gonna go off roading and plan on beating your car up, your probably going to destroy whatever brand shocks you have on there. So the questoin is do you want to replace expensive shocks everytime you wear them out, or just romp on some decent cheaper shocks that won't hit you in the wallet when they die on you.

I'm planning on getting the 3/2 rancho lift kit and I was going to try the rancho RS9000x adjustable shocks. I'm not planning on jumping my car anymore and having a soft ride is nice somtimes. I just looked online and noticed the edelbrocks don't cost the $90 bucks I paid when I got them so they look a little better. But now when I think of
Edelbrock I think performance crate engines not car suspension.
Jeep Iceland

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help I drive it mostly on the street so IŽll go with Edelbrock shocks.
1976 Trans Am
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanpv wrote:
I have these shock on my jeep. They provide a stiffer ride, but mine have worn out already. I don't know if there worth the price. If your just street driving there fine, but for offroad I would pick another brand.

How many miles did they wear out in?
seanpv

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'de say about 50k, thats a rough estimate I don't have the paper work when I had them put on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: