Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New here with some Q's for a future Jeep owner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom church

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: New here with some Q's for a future Jeep owner Reply with quote

Hey all, I'm new here. I'm fairly new to wheelin' and I don't own a Jeep (yet). I live out here in New York but your jeep site is one of the nicest and most active ones I have seen. Good job on the site...

Anyways I have a few questions. I bought an Xterra about a year ago and threw some 32"BFG's on it. It has served me very well...hauls all my Mtn Bikes and camping gear very well and it keeps up with my friends Cherokee's just fine off road (there's not much in the way of rock crawling out here). But now I'm getting into more serious wheeling and am looking for something new. I spent a fair amount on the Xterra and I'm not gonna be happy when I smack it into a tree. Did I mention it's my daily driver?...you get my drift. So I'm gonna keep my X as my daily driver and for camping and such, but I want something I can beat on and not worry to much. I won't be doing much hardcore rock crawling mostly just trail/mud driving (of course there will be some rocks etc there).

So I've been looking into a Jeep. I've looked into the differences between CJ, YJ, and TJ but I still have some questions. Do the TJ's have any major advantages/disadvantages with the spring suspension? I'd like to put 35" tires or bigger on the Jeep. What kind of lift is needed for this and is one model better suited for this than others? I have noticed that some of the older CJ's have the 6 cylinder in them and some have the 8. Is the 6 still powerfull enough or is the 8 what you really want?

I know these are very general and I'm sure I will have many more questions in the coming months (tax refund is gonna be when I buy this) so thanks in advance!

Tom
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay Tom, first welcome to the forum. Now let's get crackin' on these answers. 35's is a huge step for just wheeling, and the mods for 35's can cost a lot of money. The TJ has 4 coils vs. the leaf springs on cj's and yj's. Leaf spring provide more stability and just gives it a rougher ride, the coils allow more articulation. I'm starting to see a lot of combo's now, people purchasing TJ and putting leaf springs in the rear. I really don't know the reason behind this, and I guess it's not important to your questions. I have a TJ, never wheeled in a leaf sprung vehicle to be honest with you so I can't answer how they compare. I am very happy with my TJ though.

To put 35" tires on your ride will require a lot of money and mods. First you atleast need 4.5"/5" or more to do this. Lifting you jeep that high will cause bad vibrations so you'll need to a "Slip Yoke Eliminator" (SYE) which will give you proper driveline agnles again. The lift itself will be a pretty penny and the SYE will cost a bit too. My advice would be to wheel it stock first, get a feel for it, gain experience. If you get a TJ then you can fit 31'a on it stock, and you will be surprised at how much it can handle. I personally would stay below 3.5" of lift to avoid the SYE. 33's can take you very far and the higher it is, is not always better. A low center of gravity is key to rock crawling.

As far as engines go, the I-6 is a very stout engine and one of Chryslers best engines. It will handle everything you throw at it. I'd go for the I-6.

A couple other things that you might want to look for
Make sure that you get a cheap with a Dana 44 rear axle this will help you out in the long run. I knew nothing about jeeps when I purchased mine, and I wished that I had found a place like this before I bought it. We have write up here that informs you on how to tell different axle's apart.

Hope that helps and I'm sure someone else will chime in and answer anything I left out

My Morning Jacket
tom church

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!! I see what you mean about the tires...I said that after riding in a friends, friends CJ7 with 35's on it...it just tore through some of the mud pits that I won't even try with my Xterra...I didn't realize the need for a slip yoke elmiminator...makes sense now.

Is the I6 you speak of the same one that was in the older CJ's? I know there is an I6 in the newer jeeps.

Tom
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the entire history of it, but I do believe it is the same from the 80's CJ-YJ-to present. I want to say the same, but not 100% sure. I will tell you that the jeeping world is addictive, once th bug bites ya, then your stuck.

My Morning Jacket
tom church

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...yeah I've noticed...I've only been going off road for just under a year and I'm outgrowing my Xterra...lol

Tom
Mighty Mouse

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In an answer to your engine question. No the engines are not the same, the CJ will be a carbed engine and the TJ will have FI. Things to consider for 35's are amount of lift, gear swap, axle swap, cost of lift kits, and drive line angles. Also don't forget a YJ is going to be very similar as a CJ but a TJ is all coil springs.
90 K5, tbi350/th400/241/SYE/3" Tuff Country/D60 Powerlock/14ff Detroit/4:10's/Crossover Steering/Hydro Assist/37" MTR's

87 Burb, tbi454. Drinks gas and hauls ass.

92 YJ, 4 Banger for now.

97 Grand Cherokee, 5.2
telam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to what mighty mouse said 'bout the engines.... The I6's are all stout engines. Carb engines have problems delivering fuel at odd angles and steep climbs. The efi's do not. THe I6's pre-90 had 210-225 on horses and a little better on torque. The post 90's I6 had a strong 250 horses and the torque again was a little better. The efi solves odd angle problems but are a serious delemma for trail repair for those of us with out a wrench for a hand. Smile
I will tell you this as well... A racing friend once said that "horse power sells parts, but torque wins races." Never is this more true than in the off road sport. It takes alot of torque to turn 35's. This is not a problem for most engines with the right gears. The I6 is a great engine because it is so torquey. On the other hand I have a coil sprung YJ with a 2.4L I4 that turns 35's at 65 miles an hour. Its better on gas to. Wish I had an I6 though.
You can't focus enough on the cost to lift ration. The more you lift your truck the more it will cost you exponentially! both in up front costs and in maintenance costs. Of course if you wanted to be rich you need to pick up basket weaving rather than offroading Very Happy I swallow my pride every time I open my wallet.
I have driven all three types of Jeeps and it all comes down to preference vs. cost. You can get great deals on YJ's. They also have the full box frame that everyone envies. The tend not to rust as much and the are newer. On the other hand The CJ is the mustang of the offroad world. Its big, awsome, easy to modify, and takes quite the beating and still begs for more. However, the rust, fatigue and are very gas unfriendly. They did have the V-8 option but they are anemic at best. THe I6 is still the better buy even for a Cj. The Tj, finally, is a great jeep. THey are new, the have round headlights Twisted Evil , havent started to rust yet, might have a warrenty, and they have a great number of aftermarket parts (well, they all do). The coil spring thing is very articulate (something you value when rockkrawling) but the ride like a slinky on wheels with the sway bars disconnected. The set up is very complicated to dial in under extreme setup angles. The leaf style suspension is more stable but much less articulate. THe lifting of a leaf spring is also a down side as the can only be lifted so far without major changes.
I could go on and on as if I havent already but like they said. It really is an addiction. Its all I think about and my wife can't stand it (unless I let her drive!) I hope I have been of service and can be in the future. Its all about preference. Your greatest weapon in saving time, money, heartache, and frustration is knowledge. suck it out of anyone you can. THis is probably the friendliest sport out there. WELCOME!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: