Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OME/Rancho comparison

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chachy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: OME/Rancho comparison Reply with quote

I have been looking at the Deluxe OME TJ kit from DPG Offroad, and comparing it to the Rancho Rockcrawler suspension. Since the OME does not include the longer brake lines or control arms and drop pitman arm, how does this impact the articulation if any? Are there other components that I would need to prevent damage or problems?
thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need the DPA. At that small of a lift, you also don't need the extended brake lines. And, at that small of a lift, the stock arms will be just fine and actually flex fairly well.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the OME lift and I love it, of course I think I'm now leaning in the direction of their 4" coils!

My Morning Jacket
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go OME.

Rancho does make some nice products, but there shocks aint one of them.
Rancho shocks are valved way stiff. Rancho dosent valve thier shocks for the weight of a Jeep. They use a "one size fits all(valving) for all thier shocks and what works on a F350 aint what works on a TJ or YJ. Ive been there done that with Rancho's on more than 1 vehicle. Another negitive quality with Rancho shocks is the piss poor finish they use. It will not hold up to New England winter road salts. They will look like thier 5 years old after the 1st winter and basically will be these rust encrusted globs after a few winters.Again Ive been there done that. And seeing that Rancho is still one of the hottest sellers due to thier brand name and can be found at most autopart stores, I see them on lots of other vehicles and they always look terrible after a few years.

You dont need the DPA, on a TJ it creates more problems then it supposed to fix.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
chachy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

I appreciate the input. I have seen pictures of the Deluxe OME kit on DPGs website, and it looks great, I just didn't know if there were some extra goodies involved, or if it flexed like that on its own!
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second what everyone else has said about the OME system. It's a great starting point that you can build off of, providing you don't want to get too tall. You can easily make 33's fit with a body lift. Add on your choice of control arms, trackbar, steering system as you need to upgrade with the appropriate gearing and traction and you've got one really capable 'sleeper' TJ.

I haven't run the newer adjustable Rancho's so I can't comment on them, but I have ran the RS5000's in the past and like WWIT said, they're stiff as hell. A light vehicle like the TJ, those shocks, and you'll be absolutely destroyed with abruptness of them. I run a set of OME"s now and my kidneys thank me. I'd say it all depends on your plans for the buildup. If you don't think you'll go taller than 33" tires, then OME is definately a sound choice. Either way, if you don't choose OME, I'd still say skip Rancho too. There are plenty of other manufacturers out there that offer a real solid out of the box product.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: