Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1997 or newer Dodge 5.2 or 5.9 with NV3500 swap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saharatj98

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: 1997 or newer Dodge 5.2 or 5.9 with NV3500 swap Reply with quote

I will be taking on the V-8 swap soon and wondering if anyone has done this and knows how to wire it all up. I've got a JP magazine article from April 2003 that goes through this swap on a 1997 4 cylinder like mine with a 2001 Dodge 1500 4X4 5.2 5-speed. I know about the engine mounts and the radiator/fan and shroud. The Dakota air intake and TB box, extending the shift mount back and the transfer case mount back 2". The Y pipe needs to be modified to clear the drive shaft and all the emissions plumbing is self explainatory with the Dodge vacuum/emissions diagram you just have to mount it all. Apparently you use the Dodge computer which mounts in the stock Jeep location against the firewall and you have to splice the wiring so that it fools the Dodge Computer to accept the Jeep sensors to make everything work. That is basically all that is said. This translates into hours of cross referencing both the Jeep and Dodge wiring diagrams and hoping every wire is spliced right or it may not run right. Hoping someone has done this swap and took notes for the better of the rest of us. The reason for this swap is the transmission will bolt directly on the NP231J all the fuel lines and power steering lines all fit and mounts are available from advanced adapters. I also have a Dana 44 from a XJ that I will be putting TJ mounts on. Doesn't say anything about driveshaft lengths having to be modified. any help???
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help ya on the wiring, but if you're moving the t-case back, it would stand to reason that you'll need to lengthen the front driveshaft and shorten the rear. I have the 5.9 in my Durango - not sure how much different the y-pipe is on yours, but mine makes a loop underneath the front driveshaft - not good. Confused
Be sure to take lots of pics and let me know if you need somewhere to host a write-up. Wink
saharatj98

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the transfer case doesn't move 2" back, just the mount on the transmission is 2" further back so I'll need to make a plate to make up the difference. This will probably be a 5.2 because as far as I know the only 5.9 with a 5spd is on the Ram R/T and will be more difficult to locate. jeep already has a 5spd so converting over to the NV3500 behind the 5.2 will be a lot less complicated than going automatic. I need the engine to come with the 5speed so that the splines will match my transfer case and also the computer that will come with the engine has to be manual or automatic specific... American Expedition Vehicles in Colorado has the new Hemi in a Wrangler, Really expensive and probably overkill.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: