Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5 speed in a XJ???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: 5 speed in a XJ??? Reply with quote

Hey how many XJs had sticks?? Can you switch to a stick?? How hard & any one did it??
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very few is all i know i once heard a number like 5% but im not sure about the source, im pretty sure it was an ax 15 tho. my brother has one and it looks like the shifter is in the same position and bezel as the auto, they feel the same as the wrangler as far as shifting

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The conversion of the mechanicals would not be that difficult, you'd need pedal, linkages, a new flywheel, etc. You will also need a new CPS. The CPS reads off a notch in the flywheel. Since the flywheels are different, so is the CPS. Now, what I'm not sure about is the ECM (Electronic Control Module) and the TCM (Tranmission Control Module)...what I'm thinking is that you would need a TCM for a stick and that the ECM would not have to be swapped, but I'm not sure.

Try PM'ing Dan (or perhaps he will see this thread and respond). He recently did a 4.0 head conversion on the 4.2 in his YJ. How is that related you ask? I'm pretty sure he used the ECM from an auto XJ in his manual YJ. So he'll prolly have some insight.

Since you've got a 4.0L, yer best bet is gonna be an AX15 (as already stated), but here's all ya need to know about sticks and XJ's:

AX4 - 4 speed manual
T4 & T5 - 4 & 5 speed manual
- both of these were used 84-86 with 2.5L I4 and 2.8L V6 engines

BA10/5 - 5 speed manual
- used only up to 89...not sure with what engines

AX5 - 5 speed manual
- used with 2.8L V6 and 87+ with 2.5L I4

AX15 - 5 speed manual
- used with 4.0L I6 engines

NV3550 - 5 speed manual
- used in 00-01 only in SE models with 4.0L I6 engines

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During my time as an installer for a mobile electronics company, we had a contract with a local Jeep dealership to do all of their electronics work. In allll that time I remember only 2 5 speed XJ's.

Also a friend of mines sister has an XJ thats a 5-speed, but its a four banger and has very few options. I call it a " do-it-yourself-car" If you want the window rolled down, do it yourself....

I think 5-speed XJ's are very cool and would love to see somebody to a swap over on one. Very cool indeed...

CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea it would be very kewl. Cool

BTW, I would think that any AX15 would do...as long as it was mounted to a 4.0L. Even one out of a Wrangler. After all a 4.0 is a 4.0. If you decide to go ahead with the swap Vic, lemme know if you want a hand. That's a project I would love to get my hands dirty on. Have tools will travel! Wink

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good!!! Yea every XJ that I have seen has been auto, so I guess the numbers are low!! I'm hoping my buddy with his junk yard will have one or get one that way I can get the trans, shifter, peddels, cables, elec junk, etc, everything I need. I think it would be a cool swap Cool
XJ Dreamin'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: 5 speed XJ Reply with quote

Howdy.

I just joined. I've been over at NAXJA but I've read everything there so I'm broadening my horizons.

Just an opinion: I had a '91 4.0L 5-speed XJ here at work for about 4 years up until 1997 when they gave me a '96 with the AW4. I gotta tell ya' I loved that 5-speed. I've currently got a '02 at work and a '93 at home, both with AW4's, but I still miss that 5-speed. That '91 was only 2WD but 1st was so low that I could ease off the clutch with no throttle and that puppy would tractor along at idle through anything from deep powder sand to pure red clay. Plus, you just can't beat double clutchin' down into the turn and power slidin' on through it in second at 4000 Revs. When you grab third on the exit your gone up to 50 MPH before you even need 4th.

Some say the AX-15 is weak compared to the AW4 and the rock crawlers say they prefer an automatic for climbing, but for general work use I had not one problem with that '91 (the track bar kept comin' loose but the tranny was never a problem).

Good luck on the switch. If that's what I've got to do to get myself a 5-speed XJ then I'll be very interested to read a follow-up.
XJ Dreamin'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me.

Correction: My current work rig is a '00 XJ, 2WD, 4.0L, AW4, factory LSD
935speedxj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 5 speed in a XJ??? Reply with quote

i am one of the few that own a 5 speed manual xj it is very basic tho ( do it yourself) troll but it is a very good rig id have to say so i hate autos an only owned 1 automatic an will never go back to one unless my legs got chopped off Finger ~ phil
Carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

First post here.... i usually do all my stuff on Jeepclub.co.uk but thought i'd have a nose over at your forum, i have been nosing in for a while and though i should really contribute once in a while.

Manual Jeeps are more common over here with the VM Diesel, 5 speed and excellent off road, i don't think i would want an auto given the choice. Mind you, the price of petrol here has a big factor in this choice.
The diesel is excellent at downhill and i think it is far more controllable on those slippery slopes that would have an auto box driver touching the brakes.

99XJ Orvis 2.5TD
XJ Jeeper Rob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually one of the Lucky ones. I found my XJ about two years ago now. I was already knew that I wanted an XJ, I just hadn't found the right one yet. I was realy trying to find one that was a 5 speed, and everywhere I searched online, I came up with nothing. So I planned on sucking it up, and getting the auto transmission. Then the first place I went to test drive in Massachusetts, I found one. I was actually thinking about test-driving a Montero Sport, and the dealership only had brand new ones. Knowing that a new Montero was out of the question, I askedif he had anything in my price range. the first thing he said was that they had a Blue Jeep Cherokee in the back. So I told him that I would like to take a look. then he brought the thing out. The first thing he said was, "its a 5-speed, is that ok?" I almost fell over. I basically said I would take it. Sure enough, it was the 4.0 straight 6, it had some after-market exhaust on it already, so it sounded real good. This jeep has a lot of extra power with the 5 speed. My buddy tried taking me off the line in his Grand Cherokee (with straight 6). He was in my rear-view by the time I was out of second gear.

I am actually getting my first lift installed tomorrow, its gonna be a 4" fabtech performance. The tires are still a little small, but I will post a picture soon. Sorry about the length of this, but I love that thing. Finger
Drake69

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl wrote:
Manual Jeeps are more common over here with the VM Diesel, 5 speed and excellent off road, i don't think i would want an auto given the choice. Mind you, the price of petrol here has a big factor in this choice.
The diesel is excellent at downhill and i think it is far more controllable on those slippery slopes that would have an auto box driver touching the brakes. 99XJ Orvis 2.5TD

Yeah, I'd love me a diesel, but if I remember, all those were 2.5L's. I'd rather have a 4.0L diesel, but I don't think that animal ever came into existence.

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, but the 2.5L Diesel was used overseas. Here in the states the 2.1L diesel was used from 85 to 87....it made 85 horses of whopping power and somewheres around 132 ft/lbs of torque.

Quote:
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Plackluster's sister has a mannual tranny. I forgot about that Corey. Is her's even 4 wheel drive?

My Morning Jacket
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanimations sister's Jeep is a 4 banger 2wd do-it-yourself-Jeep...

If you want the window rolled down....do it yourself!

-Junior

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: