Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Member HELP: Crazy wobble/shake!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MiamiJeep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: New Member HELP: Crazy wobble/shake!!!! Reply with quote

Hey guys..I have a 98 Gr Cherokee 6cyl wit 70000 miles. For the past year I have intermittent crazy episodes of this insane wobble that the Jeep gets when e.g I am driving around 50mph and hit even a small bump in the road. I does not happen oftern..but when it does..HOLY CRAP..the entire car shakes like crazy and decelerates very quickly. After a complete stop..the car is fine to drive again. I used to think it happened only when I hit a bump ( and trust me when I say bump I mean a small small bump) at an angle or when cornerning..but it is completely random. I have spent over 2 grand and have had almost everything changed on the front end. No mechanic down here can figure it out. Also..it sounds like metal metal hitting metal if I go over holes or bumps at very slow (<10mph) speed and I think the steering feels loose. I am a student and this is killing me..but..I love this car and with such low miles want to keep it till at least I graduate. Thanks and sorry for the long note.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the steering box to make sure its tight on the frame..

Start the Jeep and lay on a creeper under the front end and have someone saw the wheel back and forth slowly..

Look for anything that flexes.. IE track bar. Ball joint..
If nothing else jack up the rig by the axle take a crow bar put it under the tire and lift. If it wobles in and out bad unit hub .. If it goes straight up and down check the ball joints..

that should give you a good start..

OH also . Check bushings on Control arms and make sure control arms are tight...

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MiamiJeep

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks bud....I will give it a try.

Sam
woodsytc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a '94 chrysler concorde that had ABS issues.
while driving at slow (under 35mph) speeds an occasional bump would freak the system out and the steering felt stiff or would pull hard to one side and the car slowed down FAST and it would only happen when you least expected it. i thought i was gonna end up in a ditch one time.

this may be unrelated, but... it sounds like a similar problem to what i had. i dunno which chrysler/mopar parts are similar. they recalibrated or replaced a chip or computer thingy as i recall and it cleared up. (i was lucky and it was under warranty)

good luck.

-woodsy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: