Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jeep as our only transport & whats the best used Cheroke

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodsytc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Jeep as our only transport & whats the best used Cheroke Reply with quote

my wife and I own a 1998 Wrangler with the 4cyl engine and so far it's been great. she loves the ability to remove the soft top and have some wind and not get stuck on the steep(ish) SW Virginia hills/mountains. Our minivan is aging and i'm thinking about replacing it with a used Cherokee (the used grand cherokees seem out of my price range) in the under $9~10k price range. are there engine/transmissions to avoid? are there "packages" to avoid (orvis/laredo... etc?)

what are your favorites and what have you found to last the best.
thanks for your help. Mr. Green

i think it might also be kinda cool to own only jeep 4x4's
(my borthers/sisters and parents think we're nuts to do it! Rolling Eyes )

-woodsy
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with an I6, it's a rock. The trannies that came with that engine, either the auto (AW4) or a stick (AX15) are both good. Stick with 92-99, they have non-vacuum disconnect front axles...you'll be much happier. I'd also stay away from ABS and try to get one with a 8.25 rear axle (as opposed to the D35).

In terms of packages...they are all really just about trim. Here's a breakdown of what was available across the years specified above.

92 - Base, Briarwood, Chief, Laredo, Limited, Sport
    93 - Base, Sport, Country
    94 - SE, Sport, Country
    95 - SE, Sport, Country
    96 - SE, Sport, Country, Classic
    97 - SE, Sport, Country
    98 - SE, Sport, Classic, Limited
    99 - SE, Sport, Classic, Limited

Good Luck

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
woodsytc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please pardon the following "newbie" questions...

1) the I6 refers to inline 6 cylinder engine, yes?
2) how do i determine if the model has the 8.25 or D35 axles?

also, my ever-helpful-father-in-law has told me i shouldn't do it because the front seats are uncomfortable and famous for breaking... is there any truth to that rumor or is he just "trying to help"?

thanks for the input,
-woodsy
Huey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I loved the seats in my 96' Grand cherokee and now also my 01' cherokee sport, never had a problem with them breaking tho.
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your father in law is most certainly just trying to help... The only seats that I have ever had to repair in any Jeeps are the power ones. Avoid them if you can.

Inline 6 cyl engines are the 4.0 engines. It will 99% of the time say on the tailgate "4.0 Litre" or "4.0 High Output" They come in most Sport, Classic, Country and Limited models.

If you get underneath the rear of it, look at the axle center (differential) and I believe it will say D35 or 825. The 825 is a little better. I have the D35 and I have not had any problems......yet.

Good luck, and thank God you aren't buying another mini-van!!!
CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some pics of the axles (8.25 is on the left, D35 is on the right)

I've had problems with my (non-power) driver side seat in the XJ. I just ended up welding the frame...the original welds on it were crappy, which is why it broke...but I'm 6'4" and weigh around 240. So if yer not a fat ass like me you should be OK. Mr. Green

Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ecrab3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say try looking for any 97 Cherokee. It will have the I6, comes with the better rear end, has a high pinion front differental, new body style and because I have one :-)

I lucked out on mine when I bought it, I didnt know anything pro or cons when Cherokee shopping. Though it seems I got a good one.

Good luck!!

oh, btw, thephantum.......your a lightweight compared to me! hehehe With the lift and my fat ass, im gonna kill my front seats outboard cushion jumping in and sliding out! rofl
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I feel like a midget compared to you lugs.... Im 5'8" at 160. I have to "hop" a little bit to get in my Heep just cause I don't want to split my pants ! ! ! LOL

-ShortyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
acrid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with phantom.... i went with a stick cuz i hate chrysler and their tranny's.... had nothin but problems with chrysler cars and the auto's goin out before there time.... i'd stay away from power accesories, except for steering and brakes, stay away from ABS, more headaches and money when it comes time to fix... besides ABS is for idiots that don't know how to brake, try slidin it around a corner with ABS, ok, maybe you won't, but i stay away from all the power accessories like windows and seats... just more of a pain when it stops working.

I6 HO the only way to go for jeeps...

good luck...

acrid.
'94 xj 4d w- '97 4.0HO 5 speed ax15 dana 30 c8.25 ar767 15's 31" bfg MT's TBS 1", 62mm TB K&N cone flwmstr exhaust. 5" homebrew 1/2 rusty's (f) 1/2 dakota packs (r) 2d shim 2" tranny drop wilderness r-rack full spare hi-jack
acrid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the c 8.25 has a chrysler pentagon (w- the "c" in the middle) cast into the housing on mine, passenger side before the pumpkin.... also the axle is larger than a d35.
'94 xj 4d w- '97 4.0HO 5 speed ax15 dana 30 c8.25 ar767 15's 31" bfg MT's TBS 1", 62mm TB K&N cone flwmstr exhaust. 5" homebrew 1/2 rusty's (f) 1/2 dakota packs (r) 2d shim 2" tranny drop wilderness r-rack full spare hi-jack
ChesterXJ96

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm relatively new also, but learning a lot in all your postings. I have a 96 XJ with a C8.25; how is it better than a D35?

Anthony
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChesterXJ96 wrote:
I'm relatively new also, but learning a lot in all your postings. I have a 96 XJ with a C8.25; how is it better than a D35?

Anthony

It's just a stronger axle in general. The axle tubes on the D35 are 2.62" in diameter, but the 8.25's are 3". The ring gear is a little bigger too, 8.25" (on the Cryco) to the D35's 7.58". 8.25's made from 91-96 have exactly the same spline count and axle shaft diameters as the D35...27 and 1.18". However, the 97-01 8.25's upgraded to 29 spline and 1.21" diameter axle shafts.

HTH

Steve

Quote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: