Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swamper thornbirds

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Swamper thornbirds Reply with quote

Does anyone know how the super swamper thornbirds last on the road? are they any good off road?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They dont last long on road and Off road.. (at least around here ..) they are the poop... The lugs are to close together..

I dont know what type of terrain you run but I have only heard bad things about them.. They are probobly the premier tire of the pimp ass mall cruising crowd.. No 14" lifted 2WD Ford or Toyota is complete without a set... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampboy's condensed version....don't get them.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a set shortly after they came out, think it was like the early/mid '90s. They were really bad with the offroading I did back then which was mostly mud and old coal roads, hills, crap like that.....but a Swamper that was lousy in the mud says it all. Onroad they were even worse. Not worth a cent on wet roads. I hydroplaned into a 360 on a mildly wet surface, had rained eariler, but wasn't at the time. Real bad purchase and the only reason I got them is because they looked 'aggressive'. Just about any other tire would be a better choice than these. In all honesty, you'll be hard pressed to find a positive comment about these tires on any of the forums out there......sorry to be so negative, but they're that bad Confused .
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no its ok...id rather someone give me the most honest truthful opinion rather than make something up cause they dont want to hurt my feelings....thanks guys...so what kind of tire do you recomend? I got a 94 ZJ with 3.5 inch tuff country lift...daily driver...i love to play in the mud but i also enjoy the trails...rock crawling is a minimum...i heard 32s will fit with trimming....what kinda trimming do i need to do?
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl can take care of the ZJ questions for ya! As far as tires go, I'm going to say go with the Goodyear MT/R's. I love these tires, it's what I wheel with and they've handled great in any situation that I've needed. I also have about 25K miles on theses tires and it doesn't even look like they've been used. Now they are pricey, but I like them. The other side is going to say go with the the Trxus tire which I've heard nothing but good things about, never had any on my jeep, but alot of guys here run them. Next you will have drack telling you to run the BFG MT's. That's also a good tire.
So here's the list so far for good tires
1. Goodyear MT/R's
2. Trxuss (Interco)
3. BFG MT's

My Morning Jacket
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you sir...yes i have been hearing a lot about the trxus mts....decent price i may check into them
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the TrXus MT's and love them.

Like any of the decent MT's they need to be rotated alot...no more than 4k intervals and keep the front end aligned.

Ive personaly see TrXus last over 30k when the above was done, and less than 12k on fronts when not.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with MT/Rs if you like mud. The M in MT/R doesn't stand for mud....it's Maximum Traction/Reinforced. MT/Rs are bad tires for mud.

Stick with the Trxus MTs that were recommended already. They're in the same bloodline as a Super Swamper...which are great in mud.....but they've got nice on road traits, like the smaller lugs with lots of siping....compared to a full fledged Swamper.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric I'm going to disagree with you on the MT/R's as a mud tire. When we wheeled at Land Between the Lakes it was a monsoon on our way down there and fianlly the sky cleared up once we got there. My MT/R's and Corey's held up fine in the mud providing great traction and self cleaning, now this wasn't the Louisiana goo that Carl wheels in but it was mixture of gooey mud and red clay. I've heard that they don't do well in the mud, but I've never had a problem in the mud with them.

My Morning Jacket
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
Eric I'm going to disagree with you on the MT/R's as a mud tire. When we wheeled at Land Between the Lakes it was a monsoon on our way down there and fianlly the sky cleared up once we got there. My MT/R's and Corey's held up fine in the mud providing great traction and self cleaning, now this wasn't the Louisiana goo that Carl wheels in but it was mixture of gooey mud and red clay. I've heard that they don't do well in the mud, but I've never had a problem in the mud with them.

You're the only person I've ever heard say they thought MT/Rs were a good mud tire.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
Keithtj wrote:

You're the only person I've ever heard say they thought MT/Rs were a good mud tire.

I would guess that all depends on one's definition of "good". I've always thought that the progression went RACING SLICK-STREET TIRE-AT-MT/R-MUD[ie a swamper or krawler]. I've always had the experience that MT's did better in the mud [glorious red georgia mud] than AT's. I've never been serious enough to roll on swampers or a straight up Mud Tire so I can't comment on the differences between MT's and Mudders.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We run the GY MTR's on the TJ and they've done well in mud. Are they as good as a Swamper? No. But they do pretty well.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaineZJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrXus is a great tire on and off road. Good in mud, rocks, etc. Has lots of smaller cuts to make it handle great on road.

The MT/R isn't a great mud tire. Seen a few Rubis just come to a stop in a mud hole with clogged MT/Rs. They also don't have much for siping on them so they're not great in wet/icy conditions.

When I get $$, I'm going TrXus
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: