Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uwharrie Dec. 14th

View previous topic :: View next topic  
battallion14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Uwharrie Dec. 14th Reply with quote

So today was the last full day of wheeling at Uwharrie. Greg, Matt and myself decided to live it up and try and run all the trails. We only were able to manage 2 1/2. We hit Daniel Rocky Mount Loop and half of Dickey Bell. It was a sunny day but a bit on the chilly side with a forecasted high of 40 degrees.

We left the Outpost about 9am and headed up Daniel. Daniel was nice and dry despite all the rain we got last week. I took the right line and walked right up. Matt took the middle line and he walked right up. Greg decided he was gonna take every line so he went up the right and did a U turn and came down the bypass and then went right up the middle.

We then proceeded to go down Daniel and played for a bit in the rocks down there. Maya snapped a great flex pic of our Jeep.

We then followed Daniel to Rocky Mount Loop and hung a left and went through the deep narrow mud pit that seems to get deeper everytime I go out there. We followed Rocky Mount Loop to Dickey Bell with our intention being to ride Dickey Bell to Falls Dam. This is where our problems started. There was a spiffy little mud pit right before Dickey Bell. I crawled through it while Matt and Greg opted to plow through it.

After getting a little bit more than half way down Dickey Bell Greg noticed that his temp gauge was pegged at 260 and he was overheating. So we stopped and took a look inside. The engine compartment side of the radiator was thoroughly coated in mud.

So we turned around and went searching for a car wash to spray out Greg's radiator. He eventually ended up running to Troy. While he was doing that Matt, Maya and myself ate lunch at Hunt Camp waiting for Greg to get back. Once Greg arrived we decided to run Rocky Mount Loop to Kodak. Along the way we found the rut everyone has been talking about lately. I made it through without much of a problem while just barely rubbing the passenger side rear and soft top of the Jeep against the bank. Matt almost made it but had no room to maneuver without damaging his hard top so we strapped him out. He ended up somehow popping out the vent on his hard top from the passenger rear. Greg also made it through without problem although the passenger side vent on his hard top was loose as well.

We then went through yet another mudhole on Rocky Mount Loop that was about 3" short of Matt's intake. We then proceeded up to Kodak. On the way there Matt had a little bit of trouble with some ruts but was able to bump his Jeep over it. When we got up to Kodak things got interesting. As I was lining up to go up the right side of the lower portion of Kodak I heard a crash in the thicket to the right of me. When I looked over all I saw was Greg's Jeep which didn't seem right because Matt had been behind me. It turns out that Matt's emergency brake failed and his Jeep started rolling back down the trail. It then hit a rock which steered it over the edge and about 30 ft downhill of the trail until it smacked a tree. His hard top was destroyed (which in hindsight made strapping him out of the rut seem kind of silly), his back bumper was pretty well dented, the panel on the passenger side was bent in, the tail light was smashed, the tailgate was bent, and his drivers side door (which had been open) had caught a tree on the way down. The door was bent, the knob to roll down his window was missing, and the door limiting strap had ripped the mount off. I then turned around and started setting up to winch the Jeep out. As my winch was pulling Matt's Jeep didn't budge. But somehow cable was still slowly spooling. It turns out that was because my winch plate was bending under the strain. Greg then took over and was able to winch Matt out.

After we got his Jeep back on the trail and picked up the broken pieces we turned our attention to Kodak. It took me a couple of tries to get the right line, but I made it up the lower right hand side. Matt then took the bypass around. Greg gave the right hand side a try but got hung up and ended up going just to the right side of the tree in the middle. We then parked to watch and talk with the guys in the three Jeeps that pulled up behind us. After that we headed back to the Outpost to air up and called it a day.

All in all it was a pretty fun day. While we didn't get to run all the trails like we had planned, we sure spent all day out there. The rest of the pics are at http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery/Uwharrie12-14-04
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics!

We are planning on coming down to Uwharrie in the fall of '05. Looks like we are in for some fun. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
battallion14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
Nice pics!

We are planning on coming down to Uwharrie in the fall of '05. Looks like we are in for some fun. Wink

Fall is the time to go. The trails close at 8am this morning and then they will bulldoze everything to fill it all back in as they do every year. When it reopens in April it will be like a fire road with not much challenge. But by the time fall has arrived and everyone and their grandmother has dug out all the rocks and the rain has washed all the dirt away, the trails will be properly seasoned for lots of fun and entertainment. dancing banana
majikxms

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just AWESOME!!!
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
Nice pics!

You won't regret it!
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
T.O.W. Vehicle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
Nice pics!

You won't regret it!
Warn X8000i winch, Warn Rock Bumpers
RE 4.5"Super Flex Lift
AA HD SYE
JKS Quicker Disconnects
Shrockguards
Tellico & Windrock Tested & Customized!!!!
battallion14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more pics that Greg snapped of Matt's "incident".

If you look hard enough there is a Jeep back there

A pic looking up from where Matt's Jeep came to a rest.

If you find a knob from a Jeep used to roll up a window, the owner is looking for it.

A pic of the damage from the ride home.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Events & Places All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: