Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Took In Some Water....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldeneagle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Took In Some Water.... Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, & I've got a '98 XJ with a 4.5 Rusty's lift, TB spacer, and Flowmaster cat-back sys, I used to live in NorCal (near Bridgeport), and I've since moved to SoCal (Carlsbad), work at Camp Pendleton; in both locations, I enjoy/ed moderate wheeling. Anyways, all that's besides the point, just some background info. Here's the deal: today, went wheeling, attempted to ford a crossing I thought wasn't as deep as it really was. Took in some water, immediately shut it down. Towed it to the shop, pulled the plugs, turned it over several times, spit a good amount of water out. After that, changed the oil, flushed the antifreeze, and fuel system. I intend to replace the plugs tomorrow. Now the thing runs like garbage, in that, around 50 or so, when I stomp on it, it won't down shift & accelerate hard, it just gradually accelerates no matter what speed I start from. I also looked a the ATF, it's still red, no strawberry shake. In addition, the "check engine" light is on. I understand there could be multiple things wrong as a result of the circumstances, I'm just looking for some of y'alls advice before I start payin' people to hose me, or asking my Marines stupid questions (anonymity is cool here). The stupid part is, my Marines were like, "C'mon sir, you got it!" I was like yeah I got, I went for it & took a bath, they love that stuff. Thanks for any suggestions, & never fear, I realize they're just that & wouldn't try be pissy if I tried something & it didn't work Smile Thanks in advance, Happy Holidays
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it runs like garbage then I would probably start checking/replacing sensors. The TPS sensor (Throttle Position) would be my first choice. If it won't idle then replace the AIS (Air Input) sensor, both are on the TB. Since it does run then I would worry about anything electrical, although the coil could be shorted out or the cap has got water in it....

CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Corey said. Since the Check Engine light is on, you could narrow it down by pulling the codes. It should point you in the right direction. thumbs

Let us know.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
goldeneagle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I gotta wait till Monday till I can use the data reader thing. I've been looking around in the meantime, found some threads on NAXJA talkin' about auto trans' having a breather element located on the top that sucks in water/grime when submerged...any thoughts?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A reader will give you a lot more data, but you can at least get the code numbers from doing one of the key tricks outlined in this thread. The codes themselves are listed in that link too. Since it's a '98, it should give you the OBDII codes.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT, were you stationed at the Mountain Warfare Training Center? Beautiful scenery up there but a bit of snow in the winter. Wink
goldeneagle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa...Thanks for all those codes! That list is exhaustive! I took the XJ for a little spin around the block this morn, it seems to have returned a little bit to normal state, check engine light's still on though.

I was stationed at MWTC 01-04, I loved it, best three years of my life. The snow was awesome, tons-o-skiin', & the summers were greart for wheelin', camping, and motorcycling (mtn roads rule!). And the training was cool too, very unique part of the Marine Corps.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that it's somewhat back to normal. I try to get up to Bridgeport at least once a year, but the short time span that Sonora Pass is open limits my options some years. I love the area on the back side of the Sierras around Lee Vining and the hills north of Bodie.
rpraterxj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exact same thing happened to me 2 days ago. I changed everythign like you. I dropped my 2000 XJ off at the dealer today. The TPS has to be replaced. They are also checking out the PCM and O2 sensor.

Almost everyone has told me the TPS will need to be replaced and they were right. $100 for the part from the dealer. I will probably get it cheaper from a parts store and install it myself. Hopefully the PCM is OK.

Good luck with yours!
goldeneagle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All, Hope your New Year's was nice. Here's the follow up: All of the above mentioned sensors have to be replaced; additionally, a sensor on the trans has to be replaced, which, according to the fella that's fixin' it up said shorted my main module (once it became electrical, I threw my hands in the air). He reasons that this is the reason why no codes other than P0700 are coming up. Once replaced, he's saying more in depth codes specific to the trans will come up...am I gettin' a line of sh#te sold to me?
goldeneagle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW after what I thought was improvement, things went for the worse...would randomly shift b/w gears in drive, & ultimately wouldn't get out of 2nd...All I've spoken w/so far insist it's an electrical problem & seems a lot worse than it is...we'll see....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: