Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will this TC work in my 1998 5.9 ZJ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
5.9 ZJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Will this TC work in my 1998 5.9 ZJ? Reply with quote

I have a chance to buy a 231 transfer case with low miles from a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L, Automatic. It has 23 spline input and 27 spline output shafts.

I have a 1998 ZJ 5.9 with a leaking TC... it may be just a seal(s) but I don't need much of a push to get rid of the 249 all together.

I plan on following Swamp Boy's great write-up, but I need to know if getting this thing to work will be worth it, or if it will even be strong enough.

I've lurked here for quite a while, but finally registered - so hello and thanks for the awesome resource!

* I'm also interested in any other upgrade suggestions, keeping in mind that the 4WD system is still a bit of a mystery to me...

Thanks,

Brian
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 231 is stronger than the 249 it will hold up.. There are tons of people running those behind V8's.. Go for it..

And you can always gut an Hd in the future and make the 231 stronger if you feel the need..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
5.9 ZJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Sweet... Reply with quote

thanks for the info!

I assume I'll have to swap shafts since the donor is an I6? And excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is an HD? I'm trying to elevate past annoying newb... heh.

I'm also looking for a billet gas cover that will fit without too much modding

Also, do you have any idea what the hell happened to NAGCA? That's where I first was exposed to your fabrication prowess...

Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Brian

**EDIT** Aha, a 231 HD... gotcha.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

231 D (often called HD) came in Dodge trucks and some Chevy S10's

Best chance to find one is a dodge 4X4.. They are reasonably plentiful in the yards..

I have seen grand Cherokee Billet fuel doors but I dont remember where..

Try googling it.. I bet you find a ton..

NAGCA has a crappy server.. Its down all the time.. It will be back..
Mr. Green

Glad you found us here.. Feel free to ask anything.. I am a firm believer in "No such thing as a stupid Question, Except the one that was never asked..."

Carl rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Beerman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 231 behind my V8(318) It will hold up.

The 249 is crap.
5.9 ZJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: ** UPDATE ** Thoughts? Reply with quote

Well, I got the beast up on some ramps and took a good look at the TC... it doesn't look like it's leaking from the front or rear seals, but the linkage up top is pretty well coated. Would it be reasonable to suspect the tranny seal? Where else would you guess it would be coming from?

Also, I noticed that the bottom of oil pan is pretty well coated (this is a new issue) with oil, not ATF... nothing on my driveway really, just a couple of drops ready to fall. I couldn't really tell where the leak was coming from but I suppose the most common would be the pan seal, yes?

I purchased this ZJ from my Grandmother after my (very cool) Grandfather passed away, and it was hardly ever driven let alone serviced.

Any opinions or comments would be very welcome.

Thanks again!

Brian
5.9 ZJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Anyone Reply with quote

anyone tackled replacing the tranny seal on a 46RE?

I'm pretty sure that's what is leaking, along with the oil pan.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drop the t case and change it out.. Its not that hard..

When you change the pan gasket change the filter as well and it wont hurt to try to flush the system one time with some cheap fluid before putting the new filter on and refilling..

Oh yeah.. I use RTV on the edges of the T-Case when I reattached it to the tranny..

5.9 ZJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yet again Carl-

Looks like I have a little project for this weekend. If I don't get too... um, festive tonight. Finger

If/when I do it I'll drag the digicam along and post some pics for the other newbs like myself.

Thanks again

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: