Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

computer issues (desktop)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quadna71

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: computer issues (desktop) Reply with quote

so, my desktop is now running funny. i put a new power supply in it last month - only because i thought my last one was fried. no matter what i couldn't seem to get any power through it. well, it was a 250 watt and i replaced it with a better cooling 300 watt one. now though the computer is acting up and i can't figure out why. it'll turn on fine, run through its normal startup procedures, and then just sit running like normal. but then, without warning, it just shuts off. no shutdown procedures, no hibernation, just click - its off. i have the cover pulled right now and can see that there's no power light on the board once that happens. pressing the power/start button in front does nothing - but if i cycle the I/O switch on the back of the tower then it gets the green power light on the board and i'm able to start it from the front. so, what gives? any ideas? i'm not sweating the stuff on the computer so much...i have most of the music and photos transferred to my laptop. its just that i have my printer connected to this desktop...and print off of it via my wireless network on my laptop in the other room. any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
chris

p.s. norton found nothing as with adawareSE. the time span from startup to shutdown is about 7 or 8 minutes max. help
battallion14

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What processor are you running? Do you know if it is overheating? It kinda sounds like it to me but it is hard to be certain from here. Wink

For future reference, here is a simple way to test an ATX power supply:

Bend a paper clip in a U shape.
Disconnect the power supply from the motherboard (the big block of pins).
While holding the paperclip with an insulated pair of pliers use the paperclip to connect the green and one of the black wires.
If the power supply fan starts up and other devices attached to the power supply turn on the power supply is good. If not, it is bad.
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately hardware failure of some type. I don't know of any software that can prevent a computer from being turned on.

My first guess would be a bad power supply- I know it is new, but it happens. My second guess would be that the mobo is bad. If your last PS fried some connections on the board then the board could be giving a false overheating shutdown. I had lightning hit one of my store's computers and their results were really similar to yours. I replaced the mobo and the PS and it did the trick. Try removing the motherboard and inspecting the soldered connections on the board- I'll bet that you have a burnt mark.

Other than that I'm out of ideas. Worst case scenario you can build a barebones system from newegg for less than $100 shipped.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
quadna71

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far so good guys. i tried some advice that someone had put on my local board earlier today - i swapped out the power bar behind the desk for a new one. it's been on now for over 3 hours....no probs. i also played with the voltage setting switch (made sure it was clicked securely in the right setting) and didn't put the labtec speaker power brick back into the outlet. it was pretty freakin hot and i just thought i'd eliminate it in the chain. anyways - all good so far.

i built this one from scratch when i was living in honduras about 3 years ago. it's a socket A motherboard, can't remember the brand...but was pretty nice at the time. the processor is a 1.3ghz - and isn't overclocked at all. Xgamer sound card, run of the mill video card, and 640 of pc133. two cdrom's (generic and 40xburner), floppy drive, two hard drives (20gb and 60 gb - both highspeed maxtors), and running it all with XP pro. it seems to work pretty smooth...but i'd sure like to reload windows on it. problem is that my pirated copy of XP has a bum key Sad oh well...guess i'll live with it's quirks for now.

any ideas where to get a good key???
chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General BS All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: