Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

i need an engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: i need an engine Reply with quote

where can i get one? i have a 2.5 4cyl and need to replace it with either the same or possibly a 6 or 350 if the conversion isn't bad. Keep in mind that I will NOT be installing it ad that a shop will so the cheaper the engine the better. any help is appreciated. thank you - this sucks Sad
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to yours???? Can it be rebuilt? If you're looking for cheap and easy, just throw a new 2.5 in. If you're looking to upgrade, then it's gonna cost you more obviously because there'll be a lot of other stuff that needs changing (computer, harness, tranny, etc.) Not sure what the junkyard situation is like up in your parts but you might want to start there or have a look on the internet maybe for somebody parting out a jeep. Just some random thoughts. BTW, where the hell ya been?
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this and ended up with a Jasper 2.5 4cyl crate motor, installed and all I was under 3k, the engine itself is only around $1200. I too priced around and it was too expensive and I didn't have time to wait around and find a good used motor and let some back yard mechanic put it in. Check out Jasper, it has a 7 year 70,000mile transferable warranty.

My Morning Jacket
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been REALLY bury withthe holidays and work and everyhing. Working towards getting a new job within the next year so I've been spending 2-2.5 hours a day in the gym and then goin to work. Tryin to buy a house, one of my lizards got very ill so I have been dealing with that, got a couple more, wifey's a preggo now...you know - same shit different day Very Happy

my timing chain and head gasket are gone. I can't do the work myself cause I'm dumb. My mechanic is telling me that to do the gasket and the chain would be about 1800 and to get a new engine would probably cost me about 1500 and I could have an engine with 40ooo mi on it as apposed to fixing the problems on mine and having 100ooo mi on it still. Whole situation sucks cause I have no money. Thinkin about crashing ino a tree and collecting insurnace.....

[i would never do that btw]
FM2CDJC Member #10

9. Thou shalt not kill. Unless some motherf****r is coming into your house to take your s**t! - The Nuge
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keithtj wrote:
I went through this and ended up with a Jasper 2.5 4cyl crate motor, installed and all I was under 3k, the engine itself is only around $1200. I too priced around and it was too expensive and I didn't have time to wait around and find a good used motor and let some back yard mechanic put it in. Check out Jasper, it has a 7 year 70,000mile transferable warranty.

thank you - i will

I also may have an option to get a 350 with auto tranny (my heeps an auto) and ~ 80ooo mi with everything working for free......
FM2CDJC Member #10

Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash it into a tree and then you hit a deer! A Deer is under comprehensive auto insurance in KY so it doesn't make your rates jump up! Maybe it's the same way!

My Morning Jacket
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikon wrote:
my timing chain and head gasket are gone. I can't do the work myself cause I'm dumb. My mechanic is telling me that to do the gasket and the chain would be about 1800 and to get a new engine would probably cost me about 1500 and I could have an engine with 40ooo mi on it as apposed to fixing the problems on mine and having 100ooo mi on it still.

guys...does ^ this make sense. I was talking to my motorcycle people friends on another forum and they are thinking that I am getting hosed.......
help...i am so confused.
FM2CDJC Member #10

Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how much labor are they charging? It does seem kinda steep - it's not rocket science to do either one. Also, without pulling the head, is he telling you that it's warped?
nikon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't say either way yet. I will ask him tomorrow.

I think that he is obviously highballing me in the estimate so that he can come down from there as opposed to having to tell me more. This really wasn't even an estimate - it was more of an off the cuff guess than anything. Labor rate is 50/hr - best around here but he said, for instance, say 900 for the engine and about 5-6oo for install. 12 hours of labor!?! sounds high there but again I think that it was more of a high guess than anything.

we'll see what happens in the next couple of days.

This isn't something that I would be doing right away cause she still runs but he doesn't think that the head gasket will last through the winter (if it's as bad of one as lasst year) and I don't drive much anyway.
FM2CDJC Member #10

internetcleaningtool

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going to see what i can do you for you mate
hang in their ok

Link removed - Code3TJ
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

internetcleaningtool wrote:
im going to see what i can do you for you mate
hang in their ok

Is there a reason I shouldn't ban you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: