Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

87 and newer XJ chevy V8 conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gunksrocs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: 87 and newer XJ chevy V8 conversion Reply with quote

My last Jeep, and '88 cherokee chief, finally gave up on me, and I'm thinking about buying another old cherokee and trying to do a V8 conversion next summer. However, it seems to be pretty hard to find information on the web or otherwise about XJ V8 conversions. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? Is it a bad idea, if I intend to use the jeep mostly around town? One website I found that did talk about the issue described using a Chevy V8 and also converting to a chevy transmission. My experience with Jeep transmissions hasn't been the best, as my 88 had the peugeot 5sp, but from what I've read most other jeep transmissions are better. Also, if I were to do the swap, I'd really rather stick with a manual transmission, but I don't know if this is the best idea.

Basically, any tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find much info when doing a search either. These are a little related - the first link has some good general info about the OBD systems and engine swaps, the second is the more popular 2.3L to 3.4L swap but it's not a V8 (though it might be cheaper/easier.)
http://www.links4jeeps.com/links/1037
http://www.links4jeeps.com/links/1800
You can also check out this page for some good general ideas on possible engine swaps.

I think any transmission is going to be better than the Peugeot, however avoid the AX5 and similar light duty transmission because they won't hold up. IMO a manual transmission is going to be an easier swap due to computer issues, but it's sorta a personal preference thing. Anybody else have their 2 cents? Wink
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I remember I was looking for info on this a awhile back (out of curiosity mainly) and couldn't find too much. I did see that someone had done it though...so it's possible.

Fitting the engine won't be as much of a problem as what tranny and t-case to go with. If you make the swap to a GM tranny it would prolly be easier to drop in a GM t-case with it.

Lemme see what I can dig up.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gunksrocs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time, guys. The V6 swap sounds like a good idea, although it may not be the most practical for me, as it's hard to find cherokees with the smaller engine. Although I've yet to look it over thourougly, the Novak site looks to be very informative. I'm glad to hear that the manual swap is the way to go. I'm starting to think I'd be better off to just try and get a wrangler, as there seems to be so much more info out there about engine conversions for them. On the otherhand, I'd hate to lose the practicality of a cherokee, and plus they're cheaper, which makes all the difference on my college student's budget. (=

Again, thanks

Jacob
gunksrocs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, Don't get me wrong, I like the 4.0l engine. Strong as a tank, and really pretty powerful. But, of course, you can never have too much power--that's why I'm day-dreaming about a swap....
detox

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8's are hard to fit in the XJs, just no room between the fenderwells/frame. the biggest i've seen is a 3.1. mostly because for a couple of years they came with the GM 2.8L and the 3.1 is the same block, so it bolts right up to the same bellhousing.

hope that helps

detox
gunksrocs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks detox. I'll look into that.

jacob
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I'm seeing says a SB V8 conversion (Chevy or Ford) is possible...but it's going to be time consuming to do, expensive to get it right and you'll need strong fabrication skills to get it done. Unless you reeeeaaaally have to have a V8, IMHO a better option would be to get a 4.0L I6 and stroke it. There are lots of different options for stroking a 4.0L, all dependant on how thick your wallet is. You can find some more info on stroking a 4.0 here.

Good luck...and let us know! Wink

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gunksrocs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. That's also a great website you gave, Steve. Thanks for the tips. I think that's what I'm going to try and do, money allowing.

I'll keep you posted,

Jacob
HTs94

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first post, And I can be of use!! Yay for me!! I just got off the phone with the fine folks at Z and M conversions about this very topic. One of their projects going on as we speak is a '95 5.0 into an XJ. I was told the kits should start selling around June or so. Hope that provides some help.
gunksrocs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's awesome! Thanks for the tip.
jeep1947

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Novak offers weld/ bolt in motor mounts for a chevy 350 in a xj. They also have a tech who has done this swap multiple times. The motor mounts are not on the site, but if you call in and ask for the xj tech he has all the info you are looking for. Also let us know what you decide to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: