Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Guy with a question???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slick

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: New Guy with a question??? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I've owned a '98 Grand Cherokee Ltd V8 since 2001. A few days ago I found the carpet completely soaked on the passenger side of the car. I've removed the complete thing to dry and clean it and moped up. I can't be sure, because it's too cold at the moment to really run the AC and get condensation from the evaporator, but I'm pretty sure that it's the evaporator drain that's caused the problem. I have been under the car and can't tell where it's supposed to drain to! I suspect there should be a small hose visible, but I can see nothing on this car! Please advise how I should go about tackling this? I guess I have to go from the onside of the car to remove the drain and check if it’s blocked! Any pother suggestions???

Thanks for letting me join the forum, I hope to contribute and learn a lot! I'm also planning on buying an old manual Wrangler (say '92) to make into a dedicated off-roader. Anyone got any tips on things to look out for?

Cheers,

Chris.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read alot about water in the passenger side of WJ's you are correct it is probobly THe AC..

Try doing This ...

http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/TSB/24-06-96.htm

Good luck..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
quadna71

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind that running your defrost also fires up the a/c - same results as running the a/c in the summer. for my tj it was more of a problem of the drain that protrudes into the engine compartment not draining well. i found the drain, rtv'd a 90* pvc elbow pointing down, and rtv'd a small section (4") of tubing off of that. the air that whips past it now sucks the water/moisture out of it instead of forcing it to back up into the tube. hope that helps.
chris
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my TJ, I found that turning off the HVAC controls prior to letting the Jeep sit helps to keep my passengerside floorboard dry.
slick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys,

The car is a final year ZJ. Anyone know for sure how to remove the drain??? Looks like you have to go from the passenger footwell. I cannot find a hose from the plastic fitting there to the engine bay or underside of the car!!! Should there be one??? There is a double bulkhead there and I suspect that the drain should be between these two and under the car. There are some small holes, but shouldn't there be a hose???

Hope you had a great New Year!!!
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess its not the same as the WJ's.. Well I will do more searching and see what I find..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
slick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carl,

The latest info I have from a friend who owns a garage is that the entire dash has to be removed to get to the AC drain. Apparently this has just a foam filter on the back which when it gets clogged with dirt will not allow the condensate from the evaporator to pass so it fills the car!!! Seems a crazy design to me!!! I wonder if it’s worth trying to modify it with a hose??? This would still go between the bulkheads and drain through the small holes in the underside of the chassis. What do you think???

Chris.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly give it a try.. Seems like a pain in the Ass to me..

Glad I dont have A/C// rofl

Jack Rochester

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: water on the floor Reply with quote

I had this problem with my '95 and heard the same thing about having to remove the dash to get at it. Also, the drain tube runs through the frame [nice engineering, boys]. BUT my mechanic decided to try detaching the hose from the evaporator and giving it a blast of air - and it cleared. Didn't even charge me anything fer it. Good luck -
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: