Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4.0 fuel flooding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: 4.0 fuel flooding Reply with quote

I am frustrated with my 95 six cylinder 4.0 engine. Starting cold is excellent, but after it has been running and then shut down ... to restart within 15 minutes is a problem. It acts exactly like a flooded engine with the chugging, raw gas smell, and then failure to start. If I wait for 20 minutes ... we are off and running. I have replaced rotor, cap, plugs, wires, filters, and cleaned injectors. What would cause an injection system to flood?

Chad[/i]
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for the Air Charge Temp sensor and change it.. Its cheap and its probobly your problem..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
935speedxj

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:
Look for the Air Charge Temp sensor and change it.. Its cheap and its probobly your problem..

Carl
not just that but it can be your water temp guage sensor if it is bad it will think its cold all the time an it will flood it thinking that your motor is cold just a thought i had a minor problem befor with my xj an that was the problem as stupid as it may sound ...good luck if ya didnt fix it already~ phil coffee
mcracco

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamp boy wrote:

Carl

Is this the "Intake Manifold Air Temp Sensor" mounted on the intake manifold neare throttle body? Symptoms are exactly what I am experiencing on my 96.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its on the intake near the front by the alternator...

Right here...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mcracco

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's clear enough. I'll pick one up tomorrow. Thanks.
mcracco

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, still stumbing when starting a hot engine. Sensor was $40 which was no big deal though. It's just a thermal resistor so it is unlikely it would fail anyway.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I replaced mine it was totally gummed up and covered in crap..
If yours was clean you could have saved yourself some money..
Sorry...

Have you checked the Computer temperature sensor??

If it only stumbles when cold that could be it.. But Again.. Check them and see if the are functional.. I think a simple ohm tester would tell you..

Mine started today with an old trick it has .. Where it starts up fine and idles beautifully then when it gets to the point where it is at the edge of cold and hot it stalls out and wont idle.. When its running at this time it blows tons of smoke out.. SO I know its a temp sensor thats bad.. Computer thinks its cold and is flooding the engine..

Problem is Last time it did it I got mad and changed every single sensor...That was $$$$$$ So this time ... I am going to change them one at a time starting with Coolant temp sensor..

I will let everyone know..

Carl

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: