Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear Shock bolts on an XJ

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Rear Shock bolts on an XJ Reply with quote

yep, they suck! pissed

spent the better part of this afternoon trying to just swap a pair of shocks. i've been soaking the upper bar pin bolts with PBlaster off and on for the past three days in hopes of avoiding the inevitable. anyways, i snapped two of the four - not bad i guess considering how many miles this jeep has traveled on the road. i could've drilled them out from the bottom - but there is now way to get above them to place a nut atop a new bolt. i don't have a complete tap/die kit to rethread them with...so i ended up breaking out the cutting wheel i drilled a hole up through the floor - centering between the two bolt holes first. then i peeled up the carpet from the back and started marking out a rectangle. using the 4 1/2 grinder with a cutting wheel i cut a 3"x5" tab that i could peel up to reveal the tops of the broken bolts. i purposefully made it large enough to access the other two that hadn't broken - no point in recutting next time, right? smoothed off the tops of the busted shanks, smacked a center hole, and drilled them out from atop. much easier - no shavings in my eyes and downward force is the name of the game. threw some grade 8 bolts/nuts on that bad boy and it's as good as new. flopped the carpet back down and took it for a test run - nice and smooth. those shocks that were on there had seen better days. tomorrow i'll cut a piece of sheetmetal about 1" larger than the tabs. a bead of rtv and 5 or 6 nicely placed rivets and i'll be in good shape.

ahhh...i never knew it felt so good to cut sheet metal on a perfectly good jeep!
chris (wishing someone would lock up his tj for safe keeping)
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a bastard. MY buddy Eddie put his lift on about 4 months ago and hasnt got his shocks right yet because of those bolts..

He wont let me fix it for him.. Mr. Green

Be careful cutting sheet metal is addictive... rofl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
majikxms

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're doing a 2" BB thing weekend on my XJ, the plans are not to do the shocks just because of the breakage issue. We plan on doing a few other things and don't want to spend 4 hours drilling bolts. No, I don't want to cut the sheet metal, that shizzle is like smoking crack as Carl eluded too...addicitive!!! rofl
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, this is old hat for Dale and I. We broke three on mine...and we broke three on Allens. We drilled/tapped them. I think it would be bad if D and I started cutting sheetmetal....we'd prolly end up with just frame rails and a drivetrain left behind. rofl

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: