Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacing my evaporator coil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ehunt1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Replacing my evaporator coil Reply with quote

My evaporator coil needs replacing and I was planning on going to a 'you pull it' place to find a new one. The only difficult part I see is pulling the dash. Does anyone have any advice for getting the dash out? Everyone I've talked to has broken their dash when they tried it. I'm pretty sure this is going to be a big pain in the butt, but I'm broke so I need to save the cash.
MaineZJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thought - you're gonna replace your bad evap coil with one from a junkyard?
I'd be too concerned that the junkyard one would leak as well.
Ehunt1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm worried about getting a junkyard evaporator, but the cheapest I can get this done is $600 and I figure I can get an evaporator for about $100. I'm just going to be real careful...but I'm also looking into how cheap I can get a new one. The biggest thing is if I can figure out how to install it or not.
spedly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not something that can be done at home in your driveway. The evap. leak is a very common problem in zj's. In order to remove the evaporator you must first evacuate the ac system. It is illegal and ill advised to vent it into the atmosphere. Second the junkyard evap will probably not last very long. Third whenever an ac system is opened up you are supposed to change the accumulator/dryer. The dryer takes all of the moisture out of the system that will enter it when you open it. If the dryer is not changed you risk damage to the compressor and other components. Finnaly the system will have to be sucked down to create a vacume and then recharged with the correct amount of r134 refrigerant. Sorry about the spelling but i'm just a greasy dumb mechanic
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New evap coils dont cost that much and you can check your system at one of the shraeder valves.. Chances are if your evap is leaking you dont have any freon in the system anyway.. It can be done .. IT is not ver easy.. The whole dash has to come apart.. I did one for a buddy a few years ago..

When mine went out I was quoted $800 to replace it.. I cut off my doors instead... Mr. Green

YOu can do it .. But make sure the system is empty first.. Like I said .. Check the shraeder valve on the system.. It probobly has no pressure anyway if you are leaking..

As for taking the dash apart.. It comes apart.. Just take your time.. If there is resistance look closely there are several hidden screws.. Like there is at least one in the glove compartment.. And there are 2 under the radio bezel and one or two near the gauge cluster and one under the panel next to the gauge cluster.. Start at the bottom take off all the panels you can ..Then move up.. Thats the way its put in...

Good luck..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ehunt1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Good advice Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to get a new coil. Also, I guess I forgot to mention, but my cousin has a commercial A/C business so he said he'd be able to pull a vacuum for me and fill it up with gas. All I need to do is get the dash off without breaking it. I plan on spending at least one whole weekend on this.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: