Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

90 Cherokee Pioneer Automatic Troubles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
omni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: 90 Cherokee Pioneer Automatic Troubles Reply with quote

alright this is quite the story but stay with me if you will.. I just bought my first Jeep (the other night, literally less than 48 hours ago) as primarily a winter car, but i plan on using it in many more aspects, camping, maybe off roading? I sure enjoyed the 4 Wheel drive the other day playing in a foot of snow (i am from minnesota) Smile I bought it for $700, 180k miles on it, minimal rust, talked him down from $1300 so i think i did pretty good.. heres the situation

in drive the car starts off very 'groggy' from a dead stop, i can put it into first and it gets up and goes like it should, first I went to the stealership (bad idea) just to have them look at it, well.. $105 later they just said that I needed a new transmission..., I took it somewhere else, they said it appears that when you put it into drive the car stays in 3rd? so they went to do a diagnostic on the transmission computer, not only was that transmission computer not hooked up, but someone cut out the wiring harness! so.. they are working on that today.. getting a harness and putting it all back together.. my questions are this...

if I can put it in first from a stop light and go to 3rd as I am driving, then to drive and everything works just fine, does than mean my transmission is good?

does it sound like after they put the transmission computer all back together that is should* be fixed?

thanks in advance as I am a total Jeep newbie.

*edit*
side questions: whats the difference of a pioneer vs. a laredo, etc? what are the good/bad points of my jeep?
SDJeeprr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Omni,

I'm new to this forum as well, and I have not purchased my XJ yet. I missed a great deal so now I'm waiting for another one to come my way.
But, soon after I read your thread, I ran across this article.

http://www.jeepbarracks.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=19

It looks like the cut wires cause your tranny to stay in whatever gear you select. If you drive it this way and leave the shifter in drive, the tranny will have to work too hard and develope a lot of heat. If you have already driven it this way for a while, or you suspect that the previous owner has done so, change the tranny fluid. If it got hot, the fluid starts to breakdown and provides less protection.
omni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much!

that article sounds exactally like whats going on, except the prior owner CUT the harness to the TCU completely out..

now, once its all back in, do you think the transmission will be okay again?

note: '1st' through 'Drive', works just fine when I shift it 'manually'
detox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the cut wiring is not a good thing, but someone may have cut it thinking it might fix the problem your having, not good either. hope i'm wrong.

good luck.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, get that wiring straighted out before anything else.

The Pioneer/Laredo thing is just trim packages. For 1990, from low end to high end, it went: Base, Wagoneer, Pioneer, Chief, Laredo, Limited, Sport

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
omni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out that fixed the problem, now just to do a tranny flush and service. Thanks for the info guys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: