Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FM2CD Camping trip (local) VA

Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where would you like to camp out??
Big Levels
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Shoe Creek
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Try to do both??
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 7

Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come up here to Rt.33 and decide for Steve on the Trails here in GWNF...can have a fun day of wheeling and save them a 2 hour day trip two cents Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic's89XJ wrote:
Hey I wanna go scouting too Sad

Stevo02TJ wrote:
Come up here to Rt.33 and decide for Steve on the Trails here in GWNF...can have a fun day of wheeling and save them a 2 hour day trip two cents Wink

I should probably mention first, that Dales answer to this would have been simply "No". rofl

I'll give you more than that...scouting out a "new" trail is not just going onto a trail, yelling YEEHAW! and having a good time.

First, we have to get in touch with the ranger district and find out what is open and when, as well as what parts of a trail are legal and what parts are out of bounds. When we actually go, we have our GPS's running to get us tracklogs. We mark waypoints for obstacles, bypasses, turnarounds, etc. This way we have our own extremely accurate maps and know exactly what we can and cannot do with a large group.

We scout with no more and no less than 2 Jeeps. The reason for this is because with 2 Jeeps if one gets stuck the other is there to assist in recovery and we can cover more ground much quicker. Dale and I do not "tear it up"...but we do make good time through trails systems and can cover a lot more ground than would be the case if others were with us. The other reason (and the main one) that Dale and I do the scouting is experiance. We've both been doing this a long time.

Having said that, Dale and I are still learning how to scout properly ourselves. The groups trip to Rapidan was an example of bad scouting. The trip to Big Levels was an example of good scouting. Until we can perfect and consistently repeat the scouting that lead to the success at Big Levels, we are not going to try to pass those skills on to others.

Patience people...once we get a trail scouted out we'll all be heading there, as a group, shortly thereafter. Wink

What was the topic again? Oh yea...camping. Let's get back on it folks. Mr. Green

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool....I don't mind a no answer... Crying or Very sad j/k Mr. Green

...seriously, that's cool tho, and I understand, just hope it's possible that there might be a trip up here Mr. Green

I can give you info for the Ranger District that I wheel in if you want Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camping.....I'm up for it, Big Levels was it?
Drake69

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy and I gotta get more gear before we can camp... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

We have the tent and a few things, but there's a lot of necessities we still need to pick up, too many to list. Ohhh well... Crying or Very sad

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> FM2CD All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: