Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Popping noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XJGuy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Popping noise Reply with quote

Hello all. I have a 96 Jeep Cherokee with the straight axle on the front end. I have a popping noise that is coming from somewhere either from the suspension, steering or axle area. This could be one pop or several depending on far I turn the wheel. Seems to do it when I am rolling on a wet or dry surface. Will not pop on snowy/icy surfaces in 2 wheel or 4 wheel. It happens turning the wheel both ways and only seems to do it under 10mph. Wheel bearings, universals and steering components seem tight. Seems to do it on level and inclined/declined surfaces. Is there something I am overlooking and should be concerned about?? Any info or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about on dry surfaces in 2wd or 4wd? Or does it do it in both modes?
XJGuy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent tried running it in 4 wheel on dry surfaces... it does it in 2 wheel every time though...wet like if its raining it will do it too. In 2 wheel and 4 wheel on ice or snow it will not pop though.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to check would be where the trackbar meets the axle. The bolt might seem tight but under stress the bar is knocking around there. Get on the bolt and make sure it's gorilla tight.

Also try checking the brackets that hold the sway bar to the frame. They could either be loose or need some new bushings.

It could also be a heim joint...either the joints at the steering knuckle or at the tie rod ends, etc.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the track bar and give the shocks a good look for warn out bushings. Warn bushings can create the same pop noise.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
majikxms

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be as simple as needing to grease the front end. Mine was doing the same thing, it was the track bar re-adjusting itself after a corner or turn. Lubed it=no pops.
quadna71

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course there's always the bar pins on the bottom of your front shocks. the rears are more notorious for it on tj's...but on cherokees the fronts are the same right? just a thought...
chris
XJGuy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Took a look Reply with quote

Hi All. Thanks for all the info and pointers. I did find several slightly loose bolts and nuts, where the sway bar connects to the frame as well as a tie rod that has a 2 bolt clamp on it. Unfortunately after greasing up everything and tightening everything the popping noise is still there under the same conditions. How do you check a heim joint, where exactly is it located... within the grease fitting? and if one was bad what would I have to replace? Anything else that could possibly be making this noise? Also is it possible that it could be the steering damper? Once again thanks to everyone for the pointers!
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a lift or anything? is there a new track bar bracket? i had a popping noise on my grand and it was from the track bar drop bracket...one bolt wasnt enough we had to drill and add another. have someone sit in the driver seat and turn the wheel while you take a gander at the front end...just keep fingers and limbs away from moving parts!
XJGuy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No lift, truck is totally stock. It has about 80,000 miles on it and came from VT so it has considerable rust and bushings that are hard but not really deteriorated. I think I am going to try to replace the sway bar bushings and see if that works. If not I'll probably put a new track bar assembly with the steering damper on and hopefully that will get rid of it.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok just have someone sit in the driver seat and turn the wheel left and right....take a gander under the front and see if anything is moving that shouldnt or vice versa something not moving when it should
Xtremexj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with mine I changed outthe tie rod end. The bushing was worn out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: