Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pros and Cons of a Hi-Lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Pros and Cons of a Hi-Lift Reply with quote

Hey, I don't know where this would go, so Mods...move it if you feel like it needs moving, but what are the pros and cons of a Hi-Lift jack?

If you respond, please list both....try not to be biased either.

Thanks,
Stephen Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro: they give you plenty of height
Con: tall and skinny makes it easy to topple (ie: off-camber situation)

Pro: they can be used for many tasks on the trail (or around the house)
Con: how/where to carry them
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a buddy of mine make a base out of some really thick plastic. It's like a high lift offroad base, only wider.

Oh, and where to mount a high lift is one of the coolest problems that we have. There are almost an infinite number of mounting solutions- so strap on your engineer's hat and come up with some stuff.

BTW- I'll be posting some high lift related stuff soon, I jsut have to get my pictures together.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks...I kind of realized there might not be too many Cons for a high-lift

(qadhafi: I like the hood mounted lights thumbs )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved this to General Tech. Wink

I did a write up on different recovery tools over on L4J...here's the section on Hi-Lift jacks:

Hi-Lift Jacks
A Hi Lift jack gives you the ability to move your Jeep around in different ways when stuck. Used properly, a Hi Lift jack provides you with a quick and easy way to move your vehicle up and down, laterally, and forward and backward. The different recovery operations available when using a Hi Lift are so numerous, they will not be listed here, but in order to use one for recovery, a basic list of equipment to carry with a Hi Lift is:

a) Two short slings or tree protector straps (8' x 3")
b) 3 D-shackles 3/4" pin diameter min.
c) 25 feet of 3/8" chain with holding hooks (high tensile strength)
d) A board (or off road base) approx. 18" square or diameter with a bolt in the middle that fits the hole in the jack base
e) 25' or 50' of 5/16" cable (wire rope)
f) Bumper adapter
g) "Fix it" kit
h) Work gloves

** Note - All hardware used with a Hi Lift should exceed the capacity of the jack, so that the jack is the weak link (there is a shear pin on the jack that will break if it's capacity is exceeded).

The board is so the base of the jack does not get driven into the terrain (mud, sand, etc.). The bolt in it is for when the board /jack get off kilter, so the jack does not slide off the board. The slings/straps, D-shackles, chain and cable are used for hand winching (a Pull Pal can also be used as an anchor point in certain situations). The fix it kit has, among other things, a spare shear pin...just in case it fails.

Hi Lifts come in 48" and 60" lengths and there are two types manufactured: 1) the cast and steel, and 2) the all cast. The all cast jack seems to last a bit longer under harder use (thus it costs a little bit more), although the cast and steel type will last for many years. Both types have a 7000 pound capacity.

When doing any type of recovery with a Hi Lift jack, caution should be used as the higher the vehicle is jacked up the more unstable the jack will be. Although this instability can be dangerous, it can also work to your advantage, depending on the situation. A prime example of this is jacking one end of the Jeep up and then toppling the jack over to move that end the Jeep a few feet to the side.

Proper Hi Lift Jack use
(Because a Hi Lift is so versatile as a recovery tool, listing specifics would be extremely lenghty. So here are some general guidelines)
a) Maintain the jack. Keep it clean and spray it regularly with white lithium grease.

b) Prior to use, inspect both the jack and all hardware being used for defects

c) Never use bumpers, axles, suspension, steering rods, or a trailer hitch ball. The recovery points must be to a secure place on the vehicles frame.

d) Everyone should stand clear of the operation during the recovery

e) Go slowly!

f) Keep control of the rachet on the jack

g) Watch both the jack and the vehicle for instabilities

h) Have a spotter stand back and watch the entire operation from 20-30 feet away. LISTEN TO YOUR SPOTTER!

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro. Real handy to have during a high center. Just crank up on the body till 1 or 2 wheels have enough space to shove a rock or log under it, effectivley raising the Jeep high enough to drive over obstacle.

Con. NEVER NEVER NEVER ever let go of the handle while lowering with weight on it. It can and will come up and smash you right up side the head. Many first time users including yours truly have made that mistake and paid for it.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many ways to carry a hi-lift, but I never liked mine out in the elements much, or on a bumper where they can be easily bent. Just being picky, I guess.
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get one, I will mount it to the roll-bar behind and below the backseat. I've seen a lot of write-ups on Jeepforum. If I invested the money into a Hi-Lift, I'd want it to function properly every time I needed it.
Tx Outlaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevo02TJ wrote:
If I get one, I will mount it to the roll-bar behind and below the backseat. I've seen a lot of write-ups on Jeepforum. If I invested the money into a Hi-Lift, I'd want it to function properly every time I needed it.

Keep it clean and well lubricated. Wait.... that sounds bad! Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: