Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

32's or 33's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
atc_tj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: 32's or 33's Reply with quote

Putting on a RE 3.5 superflex in a couple of weeks. I have a 99 sport 3 speed auto and 3.73 gears with a D35 rear. Should I get a 32" or 33" tire. Can't afford a regear any time soon.
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

33's, they will fit and it's not that big of a price difference.

My Morning Jacket
atc_tj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the power, mpg?
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 33x12.50s with the 3.07 gearing, I'm getting about 14.5mpg....you'll have a sufficient amount of power
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about mpg, but 3.73 and the 3spd auto should be fine with 33's. With that tranny either 3.73 or 4.10's would be good, as opposed to the 5spd where ya'd want at least 4.10 or 4.56's. The RE 3.5" coils would dwarf the 32's to boot as well.
kygreenyj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't think the 3 spd auto correct me if im wrong has an over drive so it shouldn;t be too big of a difference on MPG, well it will suck reguardless of 32"s or 33's, i mean

06 Ford Escape Hybrid

03 KLR 650
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There shouldn't be a drastic change from 32's to 33's regarding mpg. It's not going to be very good.

My Morning Jacket
atc_tj

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like I will go with the 33's thanks Mr. Green
SNOFRK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atc_tj wrote:
Sounds like I will go with the 33's thanks Mr. Green

Hold on one small question... Do you plan to really wheel it?

The problem is with a d-35 and 33's you increase your risk of breaking Axles. You have to also think what a 33 really gives you. 1/2 inch in lift but a full inch of width. Increasing your surface area, when aired down that increases 10 fold. There is a huge diff running 32's and 33's. I know I have both. I use the 32's for the winter months and 33 for the trail months. I also found I lose about 2 mph putting the fatter tires on.

My rigs is an 01 TJ, 4:10's, 4:1 and 5 speed. When I have the 32's the gears are perfect but with the 33's I want 4:56's however the want and effort are not great enough to change.

There was some mention of the RE3.5 dwarfing the 32's I fear that is not the case I have a 4 inch lift and the 32's look fine. I much rather have 5th gear and better MPG.

As far as power having the Automatic is a blessing in this case 3.73 are good for up to 33's you.

Also what type of tires are you thinking of getting. AT's or MTR's Ask around, for me if you live in a rainy place or with snow. AT's are much better.

I've run the Rubicon with both and much prefer the MTR's however Chuck Wells the author of FunTreck who writes off road books. Runs 33" BFG's AT and he goes all over the US running trails.
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNOFRK wrote:
The problem is with a d-35 and 33's you increase your risk of breaking Axles.

Have to agree 100%. Something to think about.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SNOFRK wrote:

There was some mention of the RE3.5 dwarfing the 32's I fear that is not the case I have a 4 inch lift and the 32's look fine. I much rather have 5th gear and better MPG.

I certainly wasn't implying that you should get the larger tires for cosmetic purposes only, but am a fan of least amount of lift for the tire size chosen. If 33's were an option, then for the 3.5" Rubicon Express coils I would definately recommend them. If 32's are what was being planned, why not just get something like an Old Man Emu 2.5" kit and gain the benefits of improved ride and handling that kit offers. As far a running 'x' lift with 'y' tires, it really should be noted that nothing comes close to advertised height. I've helped install RE 3.5" coils on a TJ with 33's and it sat just as tall as my TJ that had 3" Tera coils and a 1" body lift with 33's at the time...with my coils netting about 3.5" of lift. I certainly don't see the point in that kinda height for a smaller tire when you'll also be looking at the need for an adjustable trackbar, longer control arms (preferably adjustables) and a SYE/CV shaft combo to make everything work right. Just seems like a waste when it can be accomplished much easier with the smaller lift requiring not much extra add ons. Just my opinion on 'tires/lift height/ and why bother with it' kinda stuff Smile .
atc_tj

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on wheeling my jeep more often then going to work or the store. I was wanting to get 33's MT in the first place but was worried on axle integrity. I do live in a rainy place in Northern Cali for the next 1 1/2 years but will move back to the high desert in So Cal after I get out of the USAF so no need for AT's. I was worried I would loose the power offroad dramatically as well. I plan on putting D44 on in about 2 years so did not want to pay the cash for regears and such. Don't do much rough rock crawling yet but I'm sure I will be there sooner or later. Just cared about MPG because I usually have to drive a couple of hours to get to a good wheelin spot that and gas is gold in summer as we all know (suppose to get around $3 this summer out here)eeek
snofrog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$3 .00 OMG
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was Panamint Valley this past December. shock
atc_tj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably be over $4 in Death Valley this year by the looks of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: