Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

yr 1996 grand cherooke wont start.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne lewis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: yr 1996 grand cherooke wont start. Reply with quote

ok, heres my problem; ive recently been having problem starting my GC however when i disconnect/reconnect the battery it would start, sometimes even my windows wont go up or down so i would disconnect/reconnect the battery and all will be well until yesterday when it wont start at all. The iginition light comes on but no joy, i called the RAC who came and did a few test, when we turn the iginition key the relay clicks, so from the iginition to relay is apparently ok, next he tested the starter motor, ran a wire direct from the battery to the green wire on the starter motor, the engine started but did not idle it just died we tried the same thing again it started but died, he also drained the memory on the ECU but still no joy. the battery is new. The mechanic said he believes its the immobiliser. Do i need a new immobiliser or is the problem with the ECU. Has anyone else had this problem and how did they resolve it.
I would be grateful for any suggeations. Neutral

thanks
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start off... Welcome to the forum... Glad you decided to post up....

Now on to business.......

imobiliser?????

I am assuming you mean the ignition kill in the alarm...

It could be that, it is a common problem..

First question is what engine do you have???

Second .... Have you checked fuel pressure??? (Fuel pump failure is very common.)

Third .... Are you getting spark at the coil and/or plugs (coil is probobly not it since you said it starts but wont idle.. )

Ill let you answer those questions then I will go farther . I dont want to overload you on the first try... Mr. Green

There are several small sensor and such that will stop you from starting ..

Crank position sensor being one ... Intake temp sesor (Air charge temp sensor ) is one that will cause you to flood out if its dirty...)
Idle air control motor if bad will keep the engine from idleing..

Check the first few things and get back to me... I can tell you how to check the others...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wayne lewis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for welcome and quick response.

iginition kill is probarly right (being from the UK they call it Immobiliser for some reason)

the engine size is 3996cc (4.ltr Auto)

how do i check fuel pressure? (if i start it from the iginition would the engine turn over but not start because if i turn the iginition key it don't even turn over)

it starts if i connect a wire directly from the battery to the green wire leading to the starter motor but cuts off (i assume the spark plugs react to the starter moter and not visa versa)

Neutral
wayne lewis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a mechanic run a few test on it and he really believes its the iginition kill (immobiliser) can i by pass this and how, i am know more about metal and oil on the old cars when it get electrical im like a eskimo in the desert.

wher do i locate these sensors?

Sad
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt get that part before.. If its not turning over without jumping it , It is most likely your "imobilizer" or possibly your ignition switch itself...

Start by using the factory remote control.. Close all doors.. Lock the doors with the remote then unlock them .. Then try to start it... IF its still doing the same.Check the ignition switch itself...

Haynes manual and it says you can check the ignition switch by checking for continuity as follows...

98 and earlier........
Start........ Contiunity between.. Pin 3 and Ground--- Pin1 and Pin 7--- And Pin 2 and pin 7...

RUN ......... Continuity between Pin 4 and 5 -- Pin 2 and 7 and pin 6 and 7

Accesories........ Continuity between 6 and 7

Note: You will need a special tool to remove the ignition .. It is a torx with a hole in it.. It is a T20 like I said it has a hole in the middle it can be found at any good hardware store...

Also.....You didnt include the year model of your Jeep so I this is for 98 or older Grands ...

If your Jeep is 99 or newer you may actually have a problem with the Smart key system.. If that is your problem I think the dealer is going to have to do it..

This will only take you about 10 minutes with any old cheap test meter..

If the ignition is good we will move on...

Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wayne lewis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have tried locking the doors with the factory remote control and unlocking then try to start and still nothing, however the iginition switch feels funny and sometimes when i take the key out the radio stays on and this never happended before.

my jeep is year 1996.

when u say checking the iginition switch and continuity please explain in laymans terms. Im quite new to all this.

please excuse my naieveity. Confused

thanks
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. Here I go agian.. I had a big long post typed and it ended up in E-space......

SOoooooooooo...

Start by taking apart the steering column . .. You will have to unscrew the turn indicator switch .(turn it with a pair of pliers or something It will unscrew) then you can take the covers off... Unscrew the ignition switch..
Like I said you will need one of these...

T20 with the hole..

Now take a test meter that will check continuity.. (Most cheap meters do this.)
You check contiuity by connecting the red to one and the black to the other..
(IE.... Red to 2 Black to 7 ) IF there is contiuity your meter should read 0..

Continuity means that the circuit is closed (as it should be) if its open when its supposed to be closed there is a short..

Check the continuity on run first which means put the key in the ignition and turn it once.. Check the pins as listed in the above post...
Then have someone hold the key in the start position and check the contiuity in those cirquits..

If you are having other ignition related problems it probobly is the switch.

If you have any questions you can sign up to [skype] its free..
Keep in mind there is a 6 hour time difference between the UK and here ..

But if you can call me at say 9pm your time.. (I get home at 3 usually)

Keep the questions coming .... I love this stuff... Mr. Green

wayne lewis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info, it's all starting to make sense now. only one snag; i wasn't able to get that T20 today however i will get one tomorrow.

i spoke to the jeep garage where i get my jeep serviced they reckon its the immobilizer not resetting itself. but before i go and spend big bucks i wanna try that iginition test first, i have this gut feeling its that whats causing the problem, the iginition just feels funny whan i turn the key, like one minute stiff next its very slack.

dont worry i will bring all my jeep queries to you now i know where u are.

thanks
wayne lewis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, i have removed the iginition cover then with the T15 i removed the tamper screws the iginition swith then came off, i unclipped the actual iginition switch from the two connectors, i now have the switch in my hand.

thanks to you; Swampboy, i think we have found the fault, i believe its the switch it dose'nt turn fully (springy) on the back of the iginition switch is a bit sticking out like a key, if i hold this bit and turn it (with the actual key in the switch) it turns fully (to the springy bit) including the key part as well, however if i turn it from the key it dose'nt turn fully.

hence it must be this switch, unless someone knows otherwise.
wayne lewis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Mr. Green PROBLEM SOLVED" Mr. Green

OK, on the actual iginition switch there is a screw holdin in place a plate i unscrewed the it and the iginition barrel came out, at the end of the barrel i have potted a broken piece , hence; why i couldnt start.

now i know exactly what i need to do toget my jeep starting just replace the actual barrel.

bowdown thanks

u wouldnt believe how much money and time u have saved me.

I'll Be Back bling
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I cam here for...Mr. Green

Glad I could help...

Carl

mcracco

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From across the sea...way to go Swamp Dude!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: