Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

looked at a 99 xj

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HUH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: looked at a 99 xj Reply with quote

I got a couple questions

ok yesterday I went and looked at a 99 xj everything seems good started up just fine I hear a noise like a bad bearing like a squel when the a/c is on and idleing.

also I stopped and put it in 4 lo it was kinda hard to shift the 4wd also the light said part-time. I also put it in 4 hi I did notice the steering seem kinda funny but when I put it back in 2 hi and got back on the road It didnt feel right kinda felt like it was still in 4wd. this is the first time I ve ever driven a 4wd so any help would be great.
detox

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to shift into 4lo, you need to put the tranny in neutral.

the steering will bind in 4wheel if your on tarmac or the tires are different sizes.

the a/c could be a bearing or just needs some oil.... or the belt is not tight enough.
HUH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is tarmac?

whats the difference in part-time and full-time??
Drake69

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUH wrote:
What is tarmac?

Tarmac is a fancy, gussied-up word for pavement, black-top, THE LONG HIGHWAY!!!! rofl

Your 99 XJ is like mine, part time only.

To get to 4W High:

1: Tap the accelerator lightly to get it to roll forward (at any point between 1 and 20 MPH)...

2: While rolling, pull the lever into 4W High. The rotors like to be in motion for a smooth transition.

To get it into 4W Low:

1: Drop it into 4W High using the directions above...

2: Tap the brake to get the XJ under 5 MPH while still gently coasting...

3: Put your regular gearshift in Neutral...

4: Put your hand back on the 4W lever and move it from 4W Hi to Neutral to 4W Low.

The most important thing to remember is don't engage 4W Low without being in Neutral or over 5 MPH, the gearbox definitely don't like it too much. The gearbox likes the axles to be rolling to slip into the 4W gears.

Why they didn't design it to be on the fly is beyond me...

EDIT: Definitely try to keep your 4W gears off flat, dry pavement. It can cause problems. You can safely use the gears for wet or slippery conditions like snow, rain, and ice. I primarily use 4W Hi for heavy rain and snow, and for really icy conditions I use 4W Low.

Another thing to keep in mind is you shouldn't use 4W Low with the higher gears like regular Drive or Overdrive (if you have it). If you need the 4W Low gear, try to keep your regular gears to "3" or "2/1".

ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HUH wrote:

Does the XJ you looked at have a full time option? The NP242 transefer case has a full time 4wd option. The NP231 is part time only. Both transfer cases were available in the '99.

The difference is that in part time 4wd, the wheels will turn at the same speeds. In full time they can turn at different speeds. This is important because when cornering, the wheels to the outside of the turn will spin faster than the wheels on the inside of a turn. That's why when you put it in 4lo (part time) the steering seemed "funny"...the wheels wanted to turn at different speeds but the drive train wanted to turn them all at the same speed. You can see how this can cause damage.

Full time 4WD is just that, you can run it in 4WD on pavement or off. The full time option allows the wheels to spin at different speeds, even though you are in 4wd.

As far as it being difficult to shift it into 4wd, if the transfer case (and thus 4wd) has never been used, it will take a little elbow grease to get it in and out of 4wd the first few times. It just needs to be worked in.

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: