Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Budget lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeep1947

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Budget lift Reply with quote

I have installed many lifts before and am not new to lifts or jeeps. However I am looking for a lift for my 1993 cherokee and have an extreamly tight budget. I like the idea of the s-10 rear springs and was thinking about 2" coil spacers for the front. I have always used more expensive lifts that include everything I need. Is this all I need for now or will I need brake line extensions in the rear. I just want to get it off the ground some for now if anyone has any ideas or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
majikxms

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put a 2" BB on my '98. No need for longer brake lines. I removed the front brake/abs line from it's fender well connection so it has more play in it, but did not change them out for longer ones. The stock shocks will work for now, but I will be changing them for 2-3 inch longer before my next trip to the trail. I also changed out the U-Bolts for 9/16" one's and added a DPGOffroad bump stop plate. Oh, the front has a 2" spacer and the back has a 1/2" block and 1.5" shackles. Didn't go the S-10 spring route cause I got the BB for free. The rear hanger for the exhaust had to be modified slightly so the pipe wasn't hitting the shackle bolt, but that was easy to do. Good luck.

The lift is the Rocky Road Budget Boost, I think it retails for $125, but I would have done the S-10 springs because of the price if I didn't have the lift kit. (not that $125 is allot for a lift, but free is cheaper)Rock Lizard Fabrication has a good write up if you haven't seen it about the S-10 lift.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are lifting the wife's XJ soon with a 2" RE spacer front and a Add a leaf in the rear. I have the S-10 springs in the rear and I love the way they ride Mr. Green
jeep1947

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to get the actual rear springs and not just a lift block though, because my springs are beggining to have a negative arch. It is also nice to know the s-10 springs ride nice. Thanks.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep1947 wrote:
I need to get the actual rear springs and not just a lift block though, because my springs are beggining to have a negative arch. It is also nice to know the s-10 springs ride nice. Thanks.

Make sure you get the PU ones, not blazer!!
jeep1947

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are PU springs? do you mean getting springs that are under axle vs. above alxe springs? also majikxms the link you provided was helpful, but I could not find anything on s-10 springs.
majikxms

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep1947 wrote:
majikxms the link you provided was helpful, but I could not find anything on s-10 springs.

oh yeah, thought they used S10 springs on that one, they used a stock setup with an add-a-leaf. Try this one: clicky and also this topic in the Cherokee Forum here at JH when the same issue was discussed.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeep1947 wrote:
what are PU springs? do you mean getting springs that are under axle vs. above alxe springs? also majikxms the link you provided was helpful, but I could not find anything on s-10 springs.

Pick up vs Blazer springs. Only thing you use is your main spring, the rest from the S-10 Pick Up pack
935speedxj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vic's89XJ wrote:
jeep1947 wrote:

Pick up vs Blazer springs. Only thing you use is your main spring, the rest from the S-10 Pick Up pack
hey vick i used s10 blazer leafs an it is an ok ride so whats a mater with the blazer ones? no problems at all.... an yea it will grose you about 3 inches or so so you will probally have to drop your t/c there guy if you are gonna go the s10 leafs an i used the zj front coils( 1 inch an better handleing in the corners) an 2 inch home made spacers to make up the difference headbang
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pu springs are heavy duty and with stand more wieght for carring a load in the bed so wont sag out.
jeep1947

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update- I decided on Dakota springs to get a bit more lift. Put the rear spings on today and found a 5" lift over before and about 4" over stock. I used stock mainleaf, three Dakota leafs, and stock xj overload. I would highly recomend this lift to anyone wanting to save money. I have not driven it yet because I am still working on brake cables and e-brake, but I jumped on the bumper and it was alot more firm than stock but not too firm. I read the other post about e-brake cables, but was wondering what most people do. Do most get custom cables made, is there a cheap mod, or another vehicle to swap from? If there is no mod or swap how much are the custom cables?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: