Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2" suspension lift - PRO's and CON's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
little Army guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:44 pm    Post subject: 2" suspension lift - PRO's and CON's Reply with quote

anyone ever put a 2" suspension lift on a Wrangler? I've seen those billet aluminum or plastic lifts that require no other mod's but adding these. What are some drawbacks and how easy is this to do?
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a 2" budget boost on mine for a coupla months. Pro's are they're much cheaper than a coil replacement lift and generally require no other parts to make them work. There are instances where there may be driveline vibrations to address or recentering of the trackbars if you're looking to use an 11.50 wide tire witht the factory wheels, but other than that it's basically just install 4 spacers, install 4 shocks, and go. Cons are that if you're like me and you start wheeling the Jeep a bit more, you'll outgrow the system rather quickly. If you're looking for a little lift and don't wanna go much bigger than 32's, these are a quick, cheap, and easy way to do it. Installation could be done in a driveway with your basic hand tools......and at least you'll have some familiarity with the suspension components when ya do it again Mr. Green .
little Army guy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds good. 'nother question re: this lift...should I go plastic or aluminum? what type of shocks do you recommend? not much of an off-roader...I'm from East L.A. and just wanna make it look like I wheel. I own a lowrider too, but it's for the other guy in my head.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rubicon Express kit is what everyone seems to recommend. Little over $200 onlne for the spacers, shocks, and rear bumpstop extensions. Not sure what shocks they provide currently, but in the past they were Doestch Tech (sp?) and most were very pleased with the ride. I bought a Trailmaster kit before I knew any better, cost me about $60 more and the shocks made it ride like a brick, so don't buy that kit Mr. Green . I really don't have any experience with the aluminum spacers, so I'll let someone else chime in.
KnightFire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the RE 2" budget boost lift, is everything included that you will need? I've been eyeing this for awhile, while biding my time for a real nice 4.5" suspension lift kit to go with some nice 33" tires. I've been looking at this so I can add 32" tires when my 31" tires wear out. Is lowering the transfer case necesary if you've already used 1" MMLs?

Do you need different bump stops? I've seen RE 2" kits where you can add OME shocks for an extra $100.00, good deal? Which comes to $320.00 all said and done.

I've never worked on a suspension setup before and wonder how difficult that install is, what type of coil compressor would I need? Would a pickle fork for an impact hammer be best to remove the bars?

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
quadna71

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, everything you need is included in RE's kit. i also started with a RE budget boost. it took me about 4 hours to install it...and that was while knowing it was the first time i had ever turned a wrench on a jeep. the bumpstops are very useful as they'll keep you from overcompressing the factory springs - in turn keeping any premature sagging at bay. if you have a motor mount lift then i could almost assure you that you'll not have vibes...but like 'drack says - anything is possible since all jeeps are different. at worst - you could stack two washers between your transfer case skidplate and the frame and it may clear any vibes right up. again, hand tools can be used to putting this whole lift on. to keep from needing a spring compressor you can loosen/disconnect other things. if you disconnect your lower control arms (at the frame end) and disconnect your trackbar then you'll be able to droop your axle significantly further down. also, keep ahead of the game by putting your jeep pretty high up on the jackstands....this gives you plenty of working room under your axle....so you can keep the jack under it when you lower it down. it's cake to install...once you start loosening bolts everything will seem much clearer to you. also, i'm around in evenings - send me a message on aim and i can help someone through any issues.
chris

p.s. i've never run OME's....but i'm sure 'drack will start his mantra on them upon reading this Cool
TJSahara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed the RE 2" on my jeep. It took my brother and I a while cuz all the bolts were rusted and we accidentally put the bumpstops in the front. Oh well, ill fix it before Paragon. It rides very nice and a little stiffer. I have not tried to flex dissconnected but the rear does very vell. I'm still on stock 30's but 32's will be added soon.I had bad vibes with my D35 so I ordered the RE transfercase drop.
little Army guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: off topic Reply with quote

all of you have nice pictures of your Jeeps and I wanted to add mine but te instructions say you can only add a picture if it's 6kb or less. How do I go about adding a picture or link to a picture that is more than 6kb? is it just not possible?
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6kb is for the avatar (the photo under your name.) This thread explains how to post photos in your posts. Wink
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:

chris

p.s. i've never run OME's....but i'm sure 'drack will start his mantra on them upon reading this Cool

Ill start it Mr. Green If you realy want a great shock for the 2" BB, OME is the way to go. I have tryed almost every brand name shock out there and the OME's give a great ride and are worth the extra...IMHO of course.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd on the OME's. Best shock I've run yet, well worth the money....and at only $100 for the upgrade, it's a steal Mr. Green . Some folks do dislike them, I know, I know Wink , but the general complaint is that they prefer a stiffer shock. Me, I'm getting old and like to be comfortable rofl .
IBTJn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have the RE-BB on my TJ. It's okay. It came with the DT3000 shocks. Personally, I don't like the DT's much. Off road they are okay, but with nothing in the back, and a half tank of fuel (or less) it's a kidney shaker. I have heard nothing but good about the OME stuff. I too plan on upgrading my RE-BB shortly to run 33's.

If I had to do it over again, I would have spent a little more and gone with OME shocks...had I'd known I could. And they are probably right on the MML. I just shimmed the TC on mine.
Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: