Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Jeep I'm going to buy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IFSh8er

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: The Jeep I'm going to buy Reply with quote

Hello to all. I'm new, put my intro in the appropriate section. On to Jeeps.

I have never owned a Jeep although I've worked on a lot of them and have been around them a lot. I am going to start looking for a zj as soon as my bronco sells, (I know, I know Rolling Eyes ). I am doing my research now as to what I should buy. So, here is what I know so far, think so far, and my questions. (all subject to change per your input)

I'm not planning anything radical. Small lift and 31", this is my driver.
I don't want a quadra trac.
I want a '96 up with newer interior.

I think I want a 4.0L (durability, ease of working on it, fuel milage, available with selectrac) This leads to a host of questions.

What fuel milage should I expect? How much worse would a V-8 be? Town driving and 80 mph going to CO?

If I decide to get a V-8, isn't it easy to change to the 242? I can pull one of the t-cases in 30 min. what other work is it?

Is the Dana 44 available with the 4.0L, selectrac?

That's all I can think of now, but anything you think I should know would be appreciated. Thanks
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you plan on doing some serious wheelin i would go with the I6, i have that in my grand with 3.5 inch lift and 32s and my milage is somewhere in the neighborhood of 14-17 mpg, depending on how hard i thrash and if im on the interstate or not, as for the interior, most of the interiors from 93-98 ZJs are pretty close to the same, some have leather some dont, again if your not planning to be a hardcore wheeler you really dont need the D44 or the t case swap the 231 is a great t case as for the lift you could got the budget boost to fit 31s or get a 3 inch lift

hope that helps some...
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carls the ZJ expert he can fill you in with everything you ever wanted to know
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Tech page on how to put a 242 in a V8... I can tell you that my V8 at its best got about 14 mpg.. And since I have ported and polished the heads and bored the throttle body and oversized injectors and 35" tires with 4-10 gears ..(soon to be 4:56) I get about 8-10 MPG... Shocked

I6's get better mileage but of course you wont have a V8. Very Happy

Either of the engines is great.. They have been in production for many many years.. The bugs are gone.. Mr. Green

Pretty sure the AL 44(AL=Aluminum) started being used in 98. (Stronger gears than 35 but housing is weak being as its cast aluminum..)
IF you only plan on running 31's the 35 should be fine...

You can clear 31's with a budget boost and very minor trimming.. (Plastic bumper...)

Hope that helps..

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IFSh8er

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go with the I-6 for the milage. This has to be my driver for now. The reason I would like the D44 is because I will tow with it a bit, my boat etc. Also, I never know what I will do later. Could do anything. I would love a truck built to purpose wheel, but can only afford one truck, and that truck has to be able to cruise 20 hour trips at 75 + mph.

Anything else I should know?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH.. If you are going to be towing a decent size boat.. you might be better off with the V8.. It has a much higher towing rate..If you try to tow a 3000# boat behind a 4.0 you will fight every hill.. With the V8 you can set the cruise and go... you will get worse gas mileage but if you stay out of the gas it does OK...

I have heard rumors of guys getting as good as 14 with V8's and I have a buddy with a 4.0 that consistently gets 17mpg... And on highway he gets 19 or so...

But like I said.. If you are towing V8 is the way to go...If its flat land and you are not towing far the 4.0 will be fine..

Good luck.. Let us know what you decide...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big is your boat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: