Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My First Jeep

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProjectXJ7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: My First Jeep Reply with quote

I just bought an '86 Cherokee Laredo with the tow package, it's a Selec-Trac, Automatic (wanted a stick, but for 750 I settled) Runs pretty good except for a thump back when I shift into reverse, a thump forward when I shift into drive, and a hard shift when going from 1st to 2nd. I've been told it's the U-Joints, I've been told it's the Trans mount, and I've been told it's the ring and pinion. I was wondering what you guys think it is. Also I want to restore it to it's former glory, where do you guys think I should go from here? I've changed the gaskets, catalytic, muffler, rebuilt the carburator.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd change the u-joints and the trans mount. One of those will most likely get rid of the noises.

Any plans to lift it? I'm asking cause if your gonna your going to lift soon, you might as well wait to change the u-joints until your doing an SYE...you'll need a new driveshaft for that anyway.

Good Luck.

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What he said - try to isolate each thing first to save yourself some money and grief. welcome
ProjectXJ7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Thanks for the advice Reply with quote

I want to keep it at stock height for now. Precision Premium U-Joints were recommened to me any of you have experience with these?
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Spicer myself. Never had a problem with them.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BigDawgz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things you mentioned all point to a Tranny mount. That would definitely be the 1st thing to replace/inspect if I were you. It's sometimes hard to tell if they're bad w/weight on them. I usually take a 2 or 3 ft prybar and put a lil bit of pressure on it....and then you can usually see if it's giving too much....or separated. These usually don't run too expensive and are less labor-intensive than replacing all of your u-joints.

Just my .02 cents worth

Aron
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
I use Spicer myself. Never had a problem with them.

Me too, good stuff I think Mr. Green
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
What he said - try to isolate each thing first to save yourself some money and grief. welcome

Dude cool pic!! Needs some 33s though rofl rofl rofl rofl

[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: