Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tranny issues?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: tranny issues? Reply with quote

yea, recently ive been having some problems when i accelerate, the engine will gun like its not shifting... the rpm's will fly up
tranny problem?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it... How many miles are on it? And when is the last time you changed the filter and fluid??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where's the filter at?
i changed the fluid when i did my tcase swap this summer
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the pan out and the filter is held on by two philips screws ...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brad S

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright here's the scoop.. actually the filter was held on by 3 hex screws, but whatever right? Rolling Eyes
ok, so i changed the filter, put the pan back up with a new gasket and all that good stuff, filled up the tranny again, this time i included an additive that is suppose to clean 'gunk' and whatnot off of parts inside the tranny and to eliminate slipping..
After all of that, I drove it for a few days, things seemed to be getting better, but then all of a sudden it did it again on the highway.. I was accelerating to pass someone and the rpm's fly up because it wont shift, i let off the gas and then try to accel again with no luck, so i pulled over to the side and slowed way down and then tried to speed up again, no love! it wasnt until i completely stopped the jeep and then took off again that it would shift!
This isn't looking good, is it? Any suggestions? btw, i have 117k miles on this sucker... everything else is running great..
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds bad/// Sad I would call some local shops and see if they do free inspections and estimates... Sounds like she might be on her last leg...

I have heard of shift solinoids sticking and causing similar problems but that was on Chevy trannys and I dont even know if the Jeep trannys have those... Sorry..
Carl

Brad S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i suddenly remembered seeing something about a floor shifter upgrade/recal, and so when it did it again, i touched the shifter and it seemed like it slipped back into drive from the neutral position... could this be a possibility, slipping from drive to neutral seems awfully easy..., or am i just hopefully imagining things???
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITs worth a try .. The shift detent is a recall.. Bring it in and let them fix it and see what happens... Its free and if it doesnt work at least that will be fixed.. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: