Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2002 TJ 5 spd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hailezecomet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: 2002 TJ 5 spd Reply with quote

Just bought a 02 tj , having problems shifting(grinding) from 1st to 2nd when cold. Any advice? Be gentle I am new to all this. Bought from a private dealer, and dealer was not sure about remaining powertrain warranty...anyone know about the warranty on this year?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi welcome to Jeeps Horizon Very Happy

This question is so easy that even I can answer it Wink

Wait for it to warm up! Thats all there is to it. For the most part it happens to most of us that have the 5 speeds and live in colder areas during winter. Thats the simple answer.

IF when warm it still does this then you may want to investigate further. Look for things like a body lift, or suspension lift then this could be part of the problem. Its a matter of crawling under and adjusting the shift linkage(sometimes) to correct the issue.

My bone stock 02 TJ always shifted hard into from 1st to 2nd or into reverse when below freezing. My body and suspension lifted 03 TJ does the same thing every morning after sitting. Once the tranny oil warms a little It never does it again unless it cools down.

Hope this helps
Todd

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Todd here...my Jeep doesn't even have 40K miles on the clock, and it was also doing this at 25K, just wait for it to warm up thumbs

oh and welcome
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hailezecomet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Thanks alot guys! That helps alot. Really cool site u have here..Glad to see us girls are welcome!
KnightFire

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the same problem, took it to the dealer several times, of course they couldn't find a problem, but at least I have it on record that it IS a problem, so if the trannie dies, it should be covered.

However, I talked to a few trannie shops and even the Dealer told me to use a thinner fluid, the Dealer suggested ATF (Have that one in writing) and the trannie shops suggested using 10W30 motor oil.

I haven't done either as of yet, still working on my car in the garage and it hasn't been nice enough to back her out and git er' done! I plan on using 10W30 motor oil and see what happens.

Take it to the dealer if your still under the 36k warranty, at least get it on record that your having problems with it.

KnightFire

Amsoil Dealer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jblade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with my 2000. I changed the gear oil and that solved the issue. No more grinding.
TJgirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see another Jeep girl here, welcome!

2003 TJ Wink Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: