Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhaust options before long arms?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Exhaust options before long arms? Reply with quote

Okay, I'm going to go with a longarm conversion sooner than later (hopefully)....yah, I know, been saying this forever, but there may be some profit sharing coming my way and you know that I'll invest it wisely for the future rofl . Anyways, I'm probably going to go with the RockKrawler arm setup (not gonna be able to swing the complete Full Traction kit that I would like to get). Problem is I need to do some exhaust work now, work meaning replace it. Obvioulsy I only wanna do this once and fitting something with the current shortarm setup isn't gonna be a problem, I wanna make sure I get something that isn't going to interfere with the eventual new setup. Rear's gonna be triangulated too btw. So any bolt on suggestions, I really can't afford the down time having a custom pipe bent up and it'd be hit or miss anyway since they'd still be eyeballing my current suspension. If it'll work, I"m leaning toward the Banks system. Any other suggestions out there? Thanks much Mr. Green .
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shouldn't you wheel first? Finger

I didn't know that a long arms would interfere with your exhaust. Is the exhaust problem a priority or can it wait until after you get the long arms that way you don't take the chance of screwing it up?

My Morning Jacket
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Priority, and doing both at the same time isn't in the budget right now Confused .
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a 5-link LA kit, like the RE, I believe exhaust work is needed due to the stock muffler being too large. It won't fit with the crossmember. It may be in the way of one of the upper arms.

With the RK LA upgrade, you may be able to retain the stock muffler and just have the pipe from the muffler back replaced. Whatever you do, you'll need to have it custom bent once the LA kit is on. Full Traction makes a mass produced kit, but that likely will only work with their kits. You should ask quadna...he just recently put the RK upgrade on his TJ.
quadna71

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shazam! Smile

anyways, no mod needed with RK's kit - due to the fact that it utilizes stock length upper rear arms. no long straight arm to pinch the muffler. the only exhaust issue is the tailpipe/shock rubbing that is derived purely from the pinion angle. did you look at the clayton's in person keith? i have a few times....makes me wish i had leaned that way. just saying...
chris

oh, with claytons yes, you will need a new muffler.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, that's great to know. I haven't seem the Clayton's up close, but know that's what I would want if I did Mr. Green . I'm leaning to the RK kit simply because of the price, bolt on and go install, and now the exhaust flexiblity. So I guess I'll go with whatever exhaust system that fancies me now and tweak it when the time comes if necessary.
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, I have a Clayton HardArm kit on my Unlimited....if you want to meet me and see it in person.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell happened to the 'daily driver, I'm not modding it, yadda, yadda , yadda' Shocked ?

Didn't take long did it Mr. Green ?
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was made an offer I could not refuse. The Unlimited is riding on 4" OME coils with OME LT shocks. Still has the 31s at this time...I'm going to swap the 33s from the 99 to see how she looks and drives (might have to go bigger) once I get the fixed yoke kit and CV driveshaft installed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: