Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I-4 needs more power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeepTJKID

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: I-4 needs more power Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 97 Jeep wrangler TJ. Its only got a 4 cylinder engine and an auto tranny.

I would like to get some more power out of her. What are some suggestions in what i should do. I dont want to regear just yet. I just want something that will help squeeze out a couple more horeses and maybe help out the gas milage a little bit.

Ive been looking at the cold air intakes....
Ive also been looking into a 4wd hardware exhaust kit and a new set of headers.

Nething else would help me out..
CoreyXJ
Turkish
Turkish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the 2.5's there isn't a whole lot you can do to it. Bolt on power adders some times actually lower horse power. For instance if you put a "cold air" intake on it and headers/exhaust you may lose horsepower because of the back pressures being different and too much air going in and out of the engine. Cold airs you have to be careful with because they are a lot easier to get water in. The last thing you want to do is hydralock your motor.

What I would do is replace the 2.5 throttle body with one off of a 4.0, use a nicer filter in the air box (more cfm flow than stock) and change the exhaust around by using a Banks or Gibson muffler with NO catalytic converter (this may be illegal depending on where you live) If you can't do that then use a high flow cat in combination with a Banks or Gibson muffler. Leave the stock header on there, unless it is damaged or rusted.

There is a bunch of stuff you can do to the 2.5 engine if you want to have the whole thing taken apart, have the heads ported and polished, bore the block .030 with different pistons, etc...etc...
If you want a bunch more horsepower you need to take that 2.5 out and chuck it in the woods. Put a 4.0 in there and you'll be much happier.

CoreyXJ

"Do what you love to do...the money will eventually follow" - I. Larry
Code3TJ
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, other than regearing or major engine work, there's isn't much you can do that's going to be a night and day difference. As soon as I get off my butt, I'm going to install a set of Banks headers to replace my cracked manifold - I'll let you know if there's any difference, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Wink
JeepTJKID

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnks...are there any websites that sell remanufactured jeep engines or a website that you can buy a 4.0l engine from the factory? I would like a crate engine to...
JeepTJKID

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnks...are there any websites that sell remanufactured jeep engines or a website that you can buy a 4.0l engine from the factory? I would like a crate engine to...
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy I wheel with has an I4. All he has is 4.11 gears with 12.5x33 MTs. He runs a free flowing exhaust system and an open air breather and can go anywhere. Ive seen him go over/threw obstacles that stopped the 4lt Jeeps many times. Also he only has a lunchbox locker in the rear, the front has open diff.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
JeepTJKID

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does it cost to regear and what do you mean by regear buy a whole new rear differential?
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, he means just buying the ring and pinion, it'll cost anywhere around $150 to $200 give or take a a couple bucks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^that was just the Ring and Pinion, I'm not positive on installation prices, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
qadhafi
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add a wing...

Back from the Dead??

Last edited by qadhafi on Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, they're guaranteed to give you about 100 horsepower Shocked

[/sarcasm] rofl rofl
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: