Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

soundboxes, soundbars, soundwedges.. whatever you call 'em

View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodsytc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: soundboxes, soundbars, soundwedges.. whatever you call 'em Reply with quote

does anybody have any positive experiences with aftermarket speakerwedges like the ones pictured in this link?? Confused

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10108/s-10101/p-295311/mediaCode-ZX/appId-618489

i am considering a set of these... they just seem so pricey for a hunk of plastic. and these are the cheapest set i have been able to find. any suggestions??? i am trying to improve the sound system in our '98 TJ by adding another pair of speakers without cutting things up or using up the little storage space behind/under the back seat.

thanks.
woodsy
Keithtj
ARLI$$
ARLI$$

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have thought about that, but thought it was a little pricey also. We have a stereo expert here in CoreyXJ, he used to do custom installs and sales for one of the best stereo shops in Louisville. Send him a private message and I'm sure he can help you with other ideas. I will tell you though, it is hard to make a TJ sound really good!

My Morning Jacket
cleaver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine put tweeters on top of his dash in his tj and also some speakers on the floor next to the doors. He fabricated the speaker mounts, and they sound fine and it looks kind of cool too.

The dude at the speaker shop said that the only other thing that they could do was put in those boxes next to the roll bar.
ehirner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pic in the listing for me....so I don't know what they look like.
little Army guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of getting very stock sound thru my OEM speakers in my 2000 TJ and went shopping on ebay. I replaced the head unit with a Sony Xplod CD/MP3 player with XM Ready capability, bought a component speaker set from Rockford Fosgate that came with 1 1/4" tweeters, 5 1/4" sub-woofer and the crossover. I installed the tweeters next to the 5 1/4" speakers on the soundbar, snuck the crossover into the channel of the soundbar to give it the stealth concealment (redundant?). I got a pair of 5 1/4" Rockford Fosgate's for the front and the speaker adapter so they would fit. A Bazooka bass tube for the rear and now I have 7 speakers that give a great sound effect. Consider spending low bucks buying stuff on ebay and you will save a whole lot compared to catalog or retailer shopping. Hope you get some ideas here.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
No pic in the listing for me....so I don't know what they look like.

It's those 'sound wedge' boxes that mount behind the seats to the rear wheelwells. Personally, I know there's limited space in a TJ, but I don't like them. Reason being is that they mount to an area that is prone to puddling up if ya take any water in. I can't count how many times I said screw it during a rainstorm and just tossed the top up and left the rear windows out, always ended up with water sitting in the spot you're speakers would be located at. I'd look into a soundbar setup, most aftermarket ones start around $150 and up and keep the speakers outta the way for the most part...and that includes speakers.
TJgirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a Pioneer deck in mine, the largest speakers that would fit in the factory sound bar, a self powerd Bazooka sub woofer right behind the front seats, I have my rear seat out but it will fit in with woofer. I get plenty of bass and highs, it sounds good and will crank! stereos are fun! Smile
bltracer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Speaker Boxes (Cheap) Reply with quote

I have an Aiwa deck with 40watts per channel driving the stock front and soundbar speakers, and a cheap amp, I think its says "1000watts" but from knowing a bit about electronics, I would say realisticly about 150watts to drive (2) 8" woofers. I bought them at Kragen for $15.00 each, and the boxes for them are $5.00, so $40.00 for the (2). They fit nicely behind they rear seat, I have one moved up between the front and rear seats, right in the middle. I don't have a center console, so this one really pounds good. I put the amp under the drivers seat. Sounds VERY good, and even better when the tops off driving 70MPH down the highway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: