Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First Car? Grand Cherokee?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quinn01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: First Car? Grand Cherokee? Reply with quote

Hey guys, im new to this forum and i am turning 16 in 2 weeks. I have been trying to get my parents to alow me to buy a car and work on it and drive it around with my permit and then have it when i get my licence. I love the look of Grand Cherokees. They are awesome. I also ride quads alot so i would be pulling a trailer around with up to 3 quads on it. Its a pritty big tailer. Would a Grand Cherokee do the job for me?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the V8 grands would be...higher towing capacity
dougkush

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your parents paying for gas Shocked
Quinn01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha no, im paying for gas. I would kill for a v8 but like dougkush said, v8's eat a crap load more gas than a v6. I would love to have a v8 tho. I also dont have that much money, i only have like 7 grand to buy a new truck with, so you think i should try to find a grand cherokee, if so which one should i really GO for?
1fox2go

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

downsize your trailer and haul 2 quads and get the I6...add a tranny cooler around 60 bucks at summit...you should be alrite it worse comes to worse you could regear
JimGuy100

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

error4324

Last edited by JimGuy100 on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im pretty sure the I6s are rated a lil more than 3500 but if you dont have a tranny cooler id get one...they are like 60 bucks at summit and id get a trans temp gauge
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a V8 Grand and look around for one with a Class IV hitch you can tow 7500 Kinda hard to find .. But they are out there..(mine came with Factory trans cooler and electric brake...Very Happy )

the V8 only gets about 3 or 4 mpg on average less than I6.. So its not that big a deal... Figure 12-14 instead of 14-16 MPG.. I for one love my V8 and with my current setup I get about 8.5-10 MPG city... But I am a heavy footed driver... Mr. Green

If you want it for towing you really cant beat the V8 and if you are set on a I6 get one with factory towing package and check vins. If you look hard enough you can get an AW4 (94 model..) Those are excellent trannys...

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aw4 can bolt rite in also

if they dont they make adapters so you can...93 grands come with aw4s
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant seem to find the Chart right now .. But for some reason I thought only a small number of 94's had the AW4.. I am working from memory so I could be wrong....

They are infact not even listed on the NAGCA chart...

545RFE 5 spd. automatic transmission used in the 2001 - Current Model Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L engines

45RFE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1999 - 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.7L engines.

46RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.9L engines.

44RE: 4 sd. automatic transmission used in 1996 to 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's with 5.2L engines.

42RE: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

46RH: 4 spd. automatic transmission used in 1993 to 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 5.2L engines

AX-15 5 spd. manual transmission used in 1993 - 94 Jeep Grand Cherokees with 4.0L engines.

But I know they used them for a short time .. Just not exactly sure when... But I also know they where only in 4.0's...
Very Happy

Hope that helps at least a little.....

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have that book the self repair one...cant recall the name...its a green book with a tan grand on the cover and a dude with the hood open....anywho thats where i found out that 93s had the aw4s
Dustbuster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Transmission Coolers Reply with quote

I have an odd question. I have a 98 GC with the I6 engine, and I also pull a travel trailer with it a few times a year (under the 5000 lb limit when loaded up). Before actually buying the trailer, I got the Class III hitch, brake controller, wiring harness, the works -- except I couldn't get my dealer to install a transmission cooler to my '98 engine. On two occasions, they said that they could get one for a 97, but not a 98. In fact, they said it didn't require one. Have you ever heard of this before? Seems odd to me. I'd certainly be in favor of installing one, but by the sounds of it, it would require a modification.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what's up with that. You could always get a B&M Supercooler from Jegs for around $50

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3228&prmenbr=361

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dustbuster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. Will get one before my next camping trip. Since I am pulling close to my max, I think I'm "asking for it" running without one.
Dustbuster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I called my local dealer shop again to get a clarification one last time on what they meant about not being able to get a tranny cooler for my 98.

It seems that it is possible to put an aftermarket tranny cooler on, but it would probably require a modification. Mopar does not offer a cooler for the 98. There was a change in the cooling system for 1998. My radiator is the largest one with the greatest cooling capacity made for the I6 and Jeep has integrated a coolant line from the transmission into the radiator to cool the transmission fluid.

They said that the I6 engines tend to run hot, usually between 210 and 230 degrees, so as long as my temperature guage (engine coolant) didn't rise and sustain above 230, I'd should be alright as long as I perform the necessary maintenance and have my fluids changed when I should with quality fluids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: