Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

93 Quadratrac Front end problems

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brada7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: 93 Quadratrac Front end problems Reply with quote

What is the most common problem with the front end on these jeeps, other than cv joints? Also, can a 249 Transfer case be swapped out to a 242 as long as it came out of a grand cherokee and had the same 42RE transmission?
I know I have a bad transfer case but cant find a good 249 localy. So I pulled out the front driveshaft and now that the transfer case is quite I can hear a roaring sound in the front end, but it only does it after about 20 mins of driving. I removed the inspection cover and the gears seem to be in good shape (not sharp) and the differential carrier bearings seem to be tight......??? Any Sugestions?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try wiggleing your pinion.. It may be to loose...

And click the TECH link right under Jeep Horizons at the top.. The best 242 swap writeup in the world is up there... Very Happy

rofl rofl

I guess I could make it easy on you and just put a link...
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/tcase.html

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
brada7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I read your writeup Just wondering if i would have to change that input shaft. I emailed you but got no reply. You must be like me and change your email adress too much.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check that email about once a week its better to pm me..

But It depends.. What engine do you have.. If you have the 4.0 you will probobly be good.. If you have a V8 you will need to change it.. The only real way is to pull your T case and compare the input to the other...

Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
brada7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 4.0. I also found a 242 that came out of a 97 model. I am going to go compare to see if it will work. He also has a 231, havent heard anyone say anything about a 231. Once I get the trans. case fixed then I still have to figure out whats wrong with my front end..... Neutral
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a 231D in now.. It out of a 2002 Dodge truck with a 98TJ 231J Tail housing on it so that I can use my speedo gear. Very Happy IT was a ton of work and modification.. But a regular 231J (Jeep case) will go in the same as the 242 .. There is no difference .. You will not have the full time 4WD option though...

Depends on what you want it for ...WHen I did the 242 swap I was daily driving mine and it floods alot here .. Once I trashed it I put in a 231 cause I dont drive it that much anymore..

Carl

brada7

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I actually like the full time 4wd. It works great, cant spin a tire in rain or gravel. But I dont have to have it. This is a daily driver. So do you think I will be able to use the 242 out of a 97 model as long as i have my input shaft? If I do have to use my input shaft, does it separate from the planetary gears? Because I bet mine are wore pretty bad. 270,000 miles.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what year yours is... They changed some stuff middle of 96 .. So if you are pre 96 the case will need your planetaries as well as your input...

If you put some info on your Jeep in your sig and your location in your profile it will help you..

That way anyone close to you might be able to offer help should you need it.. And I would be able to answer this question now.. Mr. Green

brada7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a 93 model. I went to the salvage yard and looked at the 97' 242 and the tailshaft was different. But he did have a 231 out of the same year as mine and had the same transmission as mine. But the tailshaft cassing looked different not sure if the driveshaft was different or not, but I am going to go tomorow and buy the transfer case and the driveshaft that goes to it and put it in. Now all I need to do is figure out whats making that strange noise up front and I'll have her back in action.This guy sells parts cheep ($200 for transfer case). May just buy a new front end with less miles on it.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool.. What you want to do is look for an XJ front axle with the same gear ratio as yours.. Its stronger and better ground clearance...

Its a direct bolt up.. Oh and any XJ from 92-99 will work..

But the 96-98 have bigger shafts and u joints... Very Happy

Better to dump money on a better part than to mess with the LP 30..

Did you wobble the front pinion yet?? (I dont remember if you answered or not..)

Carl

brada7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Has no slack at all. I guess it could be a wheel bearing, but neither of them seem to have any slack. Does the XJ front end turn all the time or does it have the vacum thing to move the coupling to enguage it, in and out. Because mine doesnt have that and I dont know how to make that work if the XJ had that.

If XJ parts will fit, will Comanche parts fit, I know where i can buy a wrecked one for less than 300 that has a remanufactured engine. (could come in handy some day)
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Comananche axle will be vacum disconnect.. THe post 92 XJ will not be...

The best way to check the bearings on the ZJ is to Jack it up and grab the tire at 12 and 6 and see if there is any slack...

Or just step back and look at the Jeep if it looks like the tires are leaning at all the bearings are probobly bad... Mr. Green

Brad S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to the shaft that runs through the planetary gears, here is a shot of the two I had when I swapped mine..

as you can see, they are different, but by experimenting, I found out that they are interchangable, I could use the old planetary gears with the new shaft..
kind of a funky combination of parts, but it works Smile
brada7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok now wich transfer case are each of those from?
Brad S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see.. if i remember correctly, the one with the extra lip (red arrow) is from the 249, and the shorter one is from the 242...
now im not sure what i ended up doing.. i think what i had to do was take the front end (side with planetary gears) of my old tcase (249) and the back half of my new 242 and put them together.. both cases are actually identical in the middle, its just on the ends they have different bearings pressed in...

hope that helps!
Neutral brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: