Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SYE/ CV Driveline?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
workforbiscuits

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: SYE/ CV Driveline? Reply with quote

I just bought a 93' wrangler and am planning to put a 3.5" BDS suspension lift on it w/ 32x11.5. All the posts I have seem to read have the SYE/CV driveline when they have a 3.5" lift. Is this required to have, or can I get away with running the stock driveline until I can come up with the money to purchase a SYE?
Thanks Wink
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend it if you plan on offroading. The reason being that on YJs, the 231 lacks the outer seal necessary to prevent the ATF in the t-case from leaking should you pull the rear shaft, either on purpose or if it falls off by not installing the SYE and articulating the rear suspension.

Otherwise, I have no experience with YJs and their driveline issues relating to lift heights. On TJs, you need an SYE/CV shaft at 4" and above...I would guess that it's similar on YJs as the rear driveshaft length is similar.
philly2crazy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
I would recommend it if you plan on offroading. The reason being that on YJs, the 231 lacks the outer seal necessary to prevent the ATF in the t-case from leaking should you pull the rear shaft, either on purpose or if it falls off by not installing the SYE and articulating the rear suspension.

Otherwise, I have no experience with YJs and their driveline issues relating to lift heights. On TJs, you need an SYE/CV shaft at 4" and above...I would guess that it's similar on YJs as the rear driveshaft length is similar.

YJs and TJs are pretty much the same, you need an SYE and CV drive shaft if you lift it over 4 inches. The risk you run is popping loose your driveshaft, you should be fine, but you are close to your limt, it would be a good idea to go with and SYE... Also make shore you align you pinion angle right or you will have some binding
Stevo02TJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always the cheap transfer case drop untill you get enough money for an SYE/CV Conversion

You do loose some ground clearance, but if it's all you can afford, then yea, it's worth it till you get more money
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DozerDan
What the deuce?
What the deuce?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI I run my YJ with 2" bl, 1" mml 3.5" springs, revolvers and stock DS

With no SYE or tcase drop.

Been running it that way for over 2 years.

It can be done.

And yes mine has seen a little bit of off roading in that time frame Cool
BLHTAZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to get a SYE, go for the JB Conversions Super Short. I just got one and they are sweet. They are a little more expensive, but they are stronger, shorter by 2.5" and they use a magnetic pick up speed sensor, so there is NO MORE CALIBRATING the speedometer. Wink
WWW.FLORIDAJEEPERS.NET
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLHTAZ wrote:
there is NO MORE CALIBRATING the speedometer. Wink

Unless JB Conversions updated the kit, this is not true. The SS SYE does not use the original speed sensor and speedometer gear like what's stock on the OE 231s. You still need to calibrate the speedometer. This is done electronically using the Dakota Digital or Superlift Truspeed units.
BLHTAZ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ehirner wrote:
BLHTAZ wrote:
there is NO MORE CALIBRATING the speedometer. Wink

Unless JB Conversions updated the kit, this is not true. The SS SYE does not use the original speed sensor and speedometer gear like what's stock on the OE 231s. You still need to calibrate the speedometer. This is done electronically using the Dakota Digital or Superlift Truspeed units.

I just called the company that I bought mine from. They said that they have only had one that did not work properly, but they are "supposed" to work as is and not need calibrating. I will be installing mine in the next 2 weeks, so I will have to update you once it's done. Wink
WWW.FLORIDAJEEPERS.NET
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLHTAZ wrote:
I just called the company that I bought mine from. They said that they have only had one that did not work properly, but they are "supposed" to work as is and not need calibrating. I will be installing mine in the next 2 weeks, so I will have to update you once it's done. Wink

They're feeding you a line of BS or they don't understand the unit themselves.

Quoted directly from jbconversions.com:
Quote:
An added benefit of the new electrical design is in the flexibility of speedometer calibration. Signal converters from Dakota Digital, Inc. and Superlift Suspensions can be easily connected into the Jeep wiring loom (only 3 wires) for easy adjustability. The Dakota Digital converter will be offered through JB Conversions, Inc. at a heavily reduced price.

** It is important to note that the signal converter is not necessary to have a functioning speedometer with our new kit. It is only necessary for adjustability necessitated by the changing of tires and/or ring and pinion gears.

NexTGeN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: SYE Reply with quote

Yah ive been wanting to get a SYE for my yj.
Its got a rough country 4" with 1" shackles.
Is there any SYE kits that are available that i wont need a new drive shaft?
A new drive shaft is like 300 bones Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> YJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: