Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

so how much gas can you force into a 15 gallon tank?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code3TJ wrote:
SKIPP3R wrote:
but if i did get taken, im gonna cry then pee on the glass door.

lolup lolup

There's been a couple of stations I've noticed here in CA that as soon as the pump turns on, it "pumps" a couple of cents worth before you even start pumping. Confused

We have a local, and very busy convienece store in town where thier pumps automatically charge .12 cents the moment the pump is turned on. Its been that way for years , people complain, nothing happens.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know of any stations in Staunton waynesboro fishersville area that are legit? i usually go to wilco on 250 in waynesboro
96 Cherokee 7.5 inch TnT long arm Locked F/R, D44 rear, 4.56s, 35x12.50 Muds/36x12.50 TSLs
Club Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As some of you may know I run a maintenance helpdesk for aorund 53 convenience stores and truck stops, so I will try and explain this.

First off The gas tank's rating from the manufacturer is only rated at 80% capacity and does not take into account the various fuel lines, filters, fill tube and anything not directly sitting in the tank. Think of it as a plastic tank sitting on a warehouse shelf. "Hey Bob, hand me anpther one of those 15 gallon tanks." Just because it is rated at 15 gallons does not mean that that is it's maximum.

In regards to pumps at c-stores/truck stops I reguarly have to have our pumps fully calibrated. A legal rating [in ga/al anyway] is to be +/- 2 cubic inches per gallon. These pumps are machines like anything else and can be affected by a multitude of factors [cold/heat/overuse/not enough use/ etc..]. This usually has to be done every 3-5 months. The worst I have ever seen a pump is -45 gallons. [+] means that the site is giving gas away too fast, [-]means that the pumps are not pumping enough gas. My maintenance guys use a 5 gallon bucket to calibrate with, the state usually uses a 50 gallon drum on a truck. [btw, all that gas is then poured back into the 10,000 gallon tanks in the ground]. The state's calibration reading are usually worse that ours because their equipment holds 10 times what ours does.

As far as a magic button that controls the flow of gas I have never seen or heard of such a thing until now. To adjust the calibration you must remove the skin of the pump and adjust it manually on each individual pump. It takes around 5-10 minutes to calibrate each pump.

If you feel that you have been unfairly cheated there will be a sticker from your respective state on the pump with a phone number [usually from the dept. of agriculture] that you can call and report the site to. Make sure and get the correct address from the store, usuallly the dept are half clueless.
But hey, WTF do I know? I kick Hippies for fun.

Back from the Dead??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Tech All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: