Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What lift?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimsTJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: What lift? Reply with quote

Hi guys. Ive got a 98 TJ that is stock aside from 31 inch BFGs. I want to put a lift on it and am curious what you guys recommend. I think I want to end up with 3-3.5 inches of lift. I also want a kit that includes everything cause im kinda a newbie with this stuff even though i want to install it myself.

Ive heard good things about the RE 3.5. Any other better ideas? How hard is the install? Everything i may need to know.

BTW, eventually I will mate the lift with 33s but cant afford to replace the tires too right now.

One more thing, i was thinking old man emu shocks.
Thanks.
Jim
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your allready concidering OME anyway, and IMHO is a great choise, why not go with the OME coils and keep the Kit a true kit, where the parts are made to work together.

If you havent discovered this yet, check out thephantums write of the OME lift that he installed in Jen2Goofy's TJ.

A great kit is the one from DPG Offroad. Thier Deluxe TJ kit has everything you need for $835. There are alot of lower priced lifts out there, but they dont include all the parts and peices that complete the lift. Just lift shocks and coils dont make a proper lift kit.

Real Jeeps dont wear Bra's
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto, that's great advice..
JimsTJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do you guys think as far as me a novice at lifts since I have never done one, is it doable fairly easily? How long might it take?

See option #2 is just a RE 2 inch puck lift for 200 bucks which would be very nice considering its only 200 bucks plus i heard it only takes about 3-4 hours for a novice to install.

BUT, done get my wrong, I want more than 2 inches of lift thats why I really dont wanna go puck.

Whats you guys' thoughts?

BTW, that OME kit, is from the link you provided, is that 100% of what I would need?

Also, i just checked it out, how many inches is that kit supposed to give? I assume 3-4 since they say it fits 33 inch tires?
Thanks so much
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The budget boost might be the way to go. I hate wasting money buying stuff twice (done a lot of it already) and recommend doing it right the first time, but if you're just starting to get your feet wet and already have the 31's, the BB just seems natural. Let's you get a bit more height and test the waters while not laying out a lot of cash. Hell, you might not like wheeling and never want/need to go bigger. The OME setup is a great way to go if you do pursue that route though. The combo kit will provide 3.5~4" of lift depending on the weight of your TJ (2.5ish" suspension + 1" body lift), more than enough to fit 33's.
JimsTJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Very good advise. Drack. Although I really really want more than 2 inches of lift, the 200 dollars and very short install time is very tempting.

QUESTION: Lets say I do the puck and then when I dot get new tires I really want 33s. Could I then do a 1 inch BL to have a total of 3 inches of lift to accomodate the 33s? I know that you really should have 4 inches for 33s, but i wont be wheeling too hard.

I guess my question is, how easy are BLs to install? Cause a 2 inch spacer with a 1 inch BL would be cheap too for getting 3 inches of lift.

Thanks alot guys.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a another thread asking a simular question about body lifts and I didnt feel like rewritting that whole thing again..lol.

BB's are a cheaper alternative to lifting your rig vs. a suspension lift. Alot less things to worry about and deal with too. But they are for looks and with a 1" BL are a simple way to clear 33's. In stock form the TJ is extreamly offroadable and the combination of BL, BB and 33's will give you an extra 3 or 4 inches under the belly pan to clear some basic obstacles.

What you dont get with this is articulation. So the suspension isnt going to give the same range of motion that a disco'd coil lifted rig will. So if you do go offroad, you have to give rocks or whatever some common sence concideration. A rig without articulation can roll on its side easier than a disco'd coil lifted Jeep. Without articulation your going to get more body roll while traversing diagonal obstacles weather it be rocks, logs , ditches etc.

JimsTJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, good to know.

So, are BLs easy to install? If so I will go that route because I dont plan on doing any really tough rock crawling.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BL's are very easy with basic hand tools...wrenches sockets with extensions etc. and something to carefully lift the body so that you can install the lift spacers.

JimsTJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, sorry for all the posts guys, im just tryin to figure this out. Ok, heres my final plan:

1. I just ordered the RE 2 inch BB so I will run that with my 31s til my 31s wear out.

2 When the 31s wear out I am going to purchase a 1.25 inch JKS BL and buy 33s.

I dont wheel hard by any means hence my decision to go with 33s with only slightly over 3 inches of lift.

Sound good?
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like a plan Smile

JimsTJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'm sorry guys for all the posts but I have 2 more questions, then I promise I'm done. Very Happy

1. Is JKS the best cheap brand of BL to buy? and where to buy?
2. If I were to do the BL right now, would it look ridiculous to have approximately 3-3.25 inches of lift with 31s?

Thanks.
WhatWasIThinkin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont say that JKS is the best, thats a personal opinion. I like thier features compared to others. They are the 2nd most expensive. 1st on that list is the Daystar kit. The Daystar BL is a ureathane replacement kit for the excisting body pucks, whereas the JKS is a block that sits on the excosting OEM pucks. I like the use of the OEM rubber pucks to help keep the noise down. 100% ureathane lifts can be extreamly noisy. Ureathane can squeek and more of the road noise transmit threw them into the cab. Plus the JKS is a whole 1/4" taller....WHOHOO! Its kinda like Spinal Taps amps volume going to 11 instead of everyone elses 10 rofl

MORE's lift is very popular at about 1/2 the price of the Daystar. MORE's BL uses 1" Aluminum discs that sit on the OEM rubber mounts, so again no noise at a very inexpensive lift.

As far as the JKS pricing Im not sure whos cheapest at the moment....maybe time to use the old google search function and look around at different online vendors.

I dont think that 31;s would look to bad with a minor lift at all....Ive seen TJs with 6" lifts running around on 29" stocker GSA's.......that looks pathetic.

JimsTJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a MML gonna be a must for me since im gettin the 1.25 inch JKS BL? I would really rather not since they sound complicated to install and i really dont wanna spend more money for one.

So, is it big thing, or can i do without? I also dont want to have to mess alot with all the t-case dropping and stuff and shifter junk. Whats the best route?

Thanks
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need to do a MML with a BL....but if you don't, you need to adjust more stuff with the BL. Specifically, the fan shroud needs to be dropped down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suspension, Steering & Tires All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: