Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone here have to replace radiator in your TJ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJfreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Anyone here have to replace radiator in your TJ?? Reply with quote

I just replaced mine last week. You can tell by looking at grill in front that the new one is brighter grey and stuff..cost me $280 including labor..
Black2001TJ
Leopard Skin
Leopard Skin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone here have to replace radiator in your TJ?? Reply with quote

TJfreak wrote:
I just replaced mine last week. You can tell by looking at grill in front that the new one is brighter grey and stuff..cost me $280 including labor..

I had to, the plastic top on the stock one sucks! Did you get a metal top?
alanjh1956

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Radiator Replacement Reply with quote

This is the first thing that went bad on my 97. It's an easy fix for do it yourselfers. Be sure to get all metal. As I recall my new radiator cost about $145 about five years ago.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive heard that replacing radiators is a common for any jeep...replaced mine a few years ago they get full of gunk that what happend to you guys?
alanjh1956

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Radiator Replacement Reply with quote

Yes. That's what happened to mine. I flush my radiator annually since then. Have not had problem since.
TJfreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,I guess my new radiator is aluminum...does anyone else here have grey radiator? I really havent looked that close at other TJ's to tell..
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you paid $280 including labor, I doubt it's aluminum. Aluminum radiators appear to be in the $400 range for the radiator alone. All steel replacements average $150-$200...so you probably paid about $100 in labor.
alanjh1956

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Radiator Replacement Reply with quote

I believe the Wrangler TJ comes from the factory with the plastic top. All you should have to do is look at the top, you can tell if it is plastic or not. Did you get a new radiator or did they refurbish yours? They paint radiators when they are refurbished, this may account for color.
Usemy3rdArm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2000 sahara and mines leaking already, gonna need a new one, least its not more than $300
WannaBJeepin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine a couple of years ago on my 97. It is very easy to do yourself if you have an afternoon. No way would I pay someone to do it unless you do not have time to do it yourself. It is only a few nuts & bolts. Plus when you do it you can paint it what ever color you want. I will have to send a picture of mine.

The front of my engine looks like a frickin' circus or a kids play area with all the crazy colors. Oh well, it's fun to do. Every time I take something off or replace it, it does not go back on a stock color. The only things that I did not paint where the Alternator (I replaced it on the trail so I could not paint it), my oil pan (had to replace it overnight, so I did not have time to paint it), and my Starter (also replaced on the trail so I did not have time to paint it).

I've been working 14hr days for the past week, so I probably will not get time to take a photo until this weekend, but I will send it as the Radiator is my favorite part.

Tim
Winch
Centerforce Dual-Friction Clutch & Pressure Plate
Custom Front & Rear Bumper's & Tire Carrier
Braided Break Lines
Warn Manual Locking Hubs
ARB's
Air System Purchased and in the works
kizer
The Link Meister
The Link Meister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/cfs_radiator/

They are pretty easy to swap out. I went with a heavy duty CFS. Thing is a tank. Wink
Bishops Finger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Kizers write up and nearly went and changed mine just for the fun of it Very Happy
The Dajaaza

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I purchased my '97 in December, the rad was one of the things that the shop told me to watch. Explaining what I could expect in say the next six months, the Jeeps rad, when it starts to go, can go quite fast...

...and it has begun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: