Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1994 4.0 GC Dies alot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diggerjim

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: 1994 4.0 GC Dies alot Reply with quote

Hi everybody hope you can help... My 94 4.0 GC dies, sometimes will start back up, sometimes won't till it cools down. May die as many as 8 times when cold in the first mile, may not die for a couple of days. May die and start back up while driving with no help from me or may start back up with the key.
Originally thought this was fuel pump 1 year ago. Replaced pump , ran fine for 6 months then started acting up again. Suspected fuel pump, replaced as is under warranty. Same problem, replaced 2 more times under warranty. Still have the same problem. The only error messages I have pulled from the ECM is "11" loss of signal from distributor. Replaced with new distributor, no help. Checked wires for continuity, OK. Replaced ECM last night with new one, same problem but not as bad, came up with error "62" something about updating srevice reminder.
Checked grounds, can't find any loose. Need help. Any ideas? Confused
Diggerjim
1fox2go

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friend of mine has a dodge shadow v6...altho his would never completely die it would almost stall have to let off the gas or it would stall...he said he had same problem sometimes it would act up others it wouldnt....me and my father tinkered with it replaced o2 sensor...got better new plugs got better then we tinkerd more and we came to the conclusion that it could be a bad head gasket burnt valve or a cracked head....now...the head gasket is cheapest of the three but they are still high to fix but you can save serious money doing this fixins yourself...but they will take time...experienced mechanic could get it done in a day but thats with all the proper tools ready to work with....im not positive but i hope this gives you some ideas as to what your problem could be
brada7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had similar problem, although not exactly the same. Ended up being the crankshaft position sensor located on the top of the bellhousing. I have went through several fuel pumps also. I had to buy one from autozone the first time because they were the only ones that had it in stock. Luckily it has a lifetime waranty because i have went through about 4 since then.
Diggerjim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: 94 dies alot Reply with quote

THANX brada7 and 1fox2go for the imput. I think I've found the problem. I cut off the factory battery post clamp on my ground cable and replaced it with an aftermarket end. The wires looked slightly swollen at the original clamp. Maybe the resistance was changing with heat causing an open affect...50 miles without a problem, thats a 6 month record! Embarassed
1fox2go

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anytime
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: