Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VC Bad on 96 take drive shaft out?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroOX

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: VC Bad on 96 take drive shaft out? Reply with quote

think my VC is going on my 96 i get some binding when pulling into parking spots. have not tried the test to idle at full turn and see if the jeep stops. just got this last weekend so not happy about my new finding

what is my best plan of action if it is going bad.

i have a GC V8 QT (obviously or would not have this crap problem)

i know on the 95 can not pull the front but does this change with the 96 model. and if that is the case what is the best plan of action to give me the longest life.

leave it the way it is try not to turn tight.

take the front drive shaft out and just run in 2 wheel drive unless offroad.

drive it to the guy i bought it from last week and drive it though his front door if he does not give my money back.. probablyy will not happen but trying to get the service records for the jeep and see if he knew it was messed up.

oh on a side note other question i am getting some whining noise when driving striaght down the road.. is this another problem?

thanks in advance.
Brad S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my VC went bad in my 95, It really roasted the VC up as well as my front diff. I was told that it was not a good idea to pull the front shaft because it would cause the front of the tcase to freewheel, go kaplooie, well since mine was toast anyways, i pulled it and drove in 2wheel until i could get a new tcase, it worked fine.

correct me if im wrong guys.
brada7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When that happend to my 93 Quadratrac I pulled the front driveshaft out and when winter came, I put it back in because it didnt do it in the winter when it was cold. But of course the VC was going bad and it got bad enough that it started doing it in the winter so I pulled it out until I got a new t-case (this weekend) Swapped it out to a 231 regular ole part time transfer case. Works great. Direct replacement as far as I can tell. But if you take out your front driveshaft your park wont work. The transfer cas will let the Jeep roll, very very slowly. So slow that you cant see it moving unless your on a very steep hill, but if on a slight hill you will find it in a different spot from where you parked it. I've never heard anyone else mention this, but thats how mine was. Gota use the parking brake. (Which is easy to forget to do) rofl
I liked the Quadratrac until It broke. Didnt really want to replace it with another because it would be sure to give up eventualy. Dont like to have it so fragile. One low tire on a trip and she's burnt up. Swampy did an article on switching to a 242 t-case. Thats what I would do if you can find one at a resonable price.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

96 should be fine.. They redesigned the t-case early 96 and it wont kill the VC (any more ) to run without the front shaft... Do a 242 or 231 swap and solve all your problems.. (see tech page...)'

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ZeroOX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah already looking into the swap just want to get as much life out of it as i can.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive it till its dead... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: