Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dana 30 and 35 Strong enough for 35s??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Dana 30 and 35 Strong enough for 35s?? Reply with quote

If I wanted to ever go bigger to 35s would my Dana 30 & 35 be strong enough to handle them?? Just a thought?? Rolling Eyes
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't trust the D35. The D30 should be alright...with some upgrades, it's good for 37s.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can ever find a Dana 44 thats what I want for the rear Mr. Green
ehirner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a simple build up for those leaf sprung vehicles.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing the way you wheel it...don't even try. To run 35's on a D35 you need a real light foot on the skinny pedal. Like E said, the 8.8 would be a good option. I just don't like the size of the pumpkin, which is why I ended up going D44.

When your ready with $$$ in hand, let me know. I can flex a few resources and prolly find you a 44 in a few days. You'll prolly have to gear it though... when I was looking for mine I found 3 within 350 miles of Richmond in about a week. One had 3.07's and the other two had 3.55's. Finding one with 3.73's might be a lot more difficult.

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thephantum wrote:
You'll prolly have to gear it though... when I was looking for mine I found 3 within 350 miles of Richmond in about a week. One had 3.07's and the other two had 3.55's. Finding one with 3.73's might be a lot more difficult.

Who cares what gears it has...with 35s, you don't want to be running stock gears anyway. Mr. Green
Ryan Schmaltz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 33X12.5X15 tsl swampers. I think the 35 sucks a$$ blew mine 3 times in a month and a half. Welded it solid the last time. Its held up ever since besidehaving to change the outer seals every month and a half.
97 4.0L Tj, 3" body, 33X12.5X15 TSL Swampers, MSD Ignition, Warn M8000, Custom front, rear bumpers, nerf bars. In process of swapping diffs, 44 front 9" rear 5.13 gears, making a custom 8" sus. lift with SkyJacker coils. Going to run a 38 Bogger.

Last edited by Ryan Schmaltz on Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True E, but he's on 33's with 3.73's and an AW4 now and he says it's pretty good. On 35's it might be livable until he's ready to regear, but finding a XJ D44 with 3.73's is a tall order. I just wanted to point out that he's prolly gonna have to build it up before bolting it in. Wink

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MN Dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i keep wondering about the same thing. I'm running 31x10.5 TSLs now, and its been butter so far. I want to do an SOA and throw on 35x14.5 boggers, but that rear axle worries me too much to start the project. An 8.8 or a 44 swap both seem like good options but not easy for someone of my abilities. I see where Superior offers a super 35 axle kit with new 30 spline axle shafts and a detroit that accepts them. Has anyone had experience with a setup like this? Do you think it might be a viable option to swaping axles?
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke 5 ....Thats right 5 super 35 axles with 33's... I swapped in an 8.8 and am running 35's now with no problem...

So my answer on the Super 35 would be ......No.... And especially with boggers Those things are known axle breakers.. Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kitesurferinva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No to the D35 with 35's. Im in the same boat as you are right now, and am considering either an Ford 8.8 or a 9. The 8.8, you can shave and get some of the ground clearance but is alot more work then just welding new spring perches on and going. The 9in has more clearance but I dont know enough about them yet to make a determination.
Kitesurferinva -98 TJ 2" BB, 1" BL, Big Daddy Rocker Guards, Custom front bumper, SKBpro rear bumper w/ spare tire swing out carrier, 33x12.5 BFG MT's on 15x10 AR Outlaw II's, 2 Hella lights, warn engine and diff skids, Kilby steering skid
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
99TJ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running 35" mudders with stock 30/35 axles, and I would not recomend it to anyone. I'm currently building a 44 rear. The stock axles and steering on a TJ are so tiny, I actually think my TJ is LESS capable off-road than it was when it was stock. I broke my steering without leaving the pavement Embarassed

I can't beleive Swamp Boy broke five of those Super 35 shafts! That's awesome! Swamp, I'm glad the 8.8 is working out better for you.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say... I am the man.... rofl

Those damn things arent so Super... rofl I even distroyed the detroit locker that came with the Super 35 kit... Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
OKZJ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampy, you still running the stock 30 in front?
30" A/T
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Drivetrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: