Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What To Do...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drewguere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: What To Do... Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1998 XJ, and want to start building it up. I dont have much money right now, because it all went towards buying the actual jeep. I am looking to make it more offroad capable, with a fairly small budget.

I was looking at one of the Econo lifts (Shackle lift in the rear and a spring spacer in the front) which will give me about 1.5 of lift, so I can at least fit 30 inch tires for now.

What I was wondering is, if I get that, down the road, when I look into a larger lift, would i be able to combine it with, say a RE 4.5, so it would be a total of around 6 inches?

Also, what are some low price things that will make a difference in the performance of my rig.
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can. I Originaly had a 3" coils with S-10 springs, then added a 2" spacer, and a RE shackle to give me more lift. I like the 2" RE kit, shackle with a greaseable end. Good to get to know your Jeep while stock before lifting. 2" BB is a good start Mr. Green Don't forget a good set of Disconnects, I really like the RE Gen IIs Mr. Green
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I'm planning to do. I'm still running my extended shackles in the rear at 3.5" of lift and I'll still be running them at my target height of 7"-8".

Like Vic said, get a good pair of disconnects. You can make your own, but trust me it's not worth it. They will knock around and wear out the swaybar bushings a lot faster....ask me how I know. I'm digging the RE Gen II's I have on the XJ now, but we run JKS quickers on the TJ and they are pretty nice too. Discos and a BB then wheel it like you stole it. You might also want to look at armoring up...especially if you plan to play on the rocks.

Get yourself a CB too...it's nice to be able to communicate with the folks your wheeling with. Mr. Green

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
drewguere

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a BB

My rear end is sagging, and the fender is about 1 inch above the tire, when the front is about 2.5. Why does it sag so much. I was thinking about getting just a rear shackle lift, so it would look semi-normal

In a shackle lift is there supposed to be two or four shackles.

I was looking into some goodyear wrangler mt/r tires (stock on rubi's) in a 30x10.5, i think, maybe an 11.5, I'll have to check again, would those fit on stock wheels. I was looking at the black cragar wheels, but cant spend all that money right now.

As for "armor" I was looking into some olympic rock slider bars, a new rear bumper, a grill guard, and a new front bumper (but after fixing my stock bumper, I dont really want to take it off again, real PITA)
Chuck's Girl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB= Budget Boost

Sounds like to me, You need new rear springs anyway.

There would be 2 shackles in a lift for an XJ.

Yes the tires would fit on stock rims and it would be 10.50

Hope this helps,
Kristy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
drewguere

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard is it to put the shackles in. I have all the tools I would need, I dont know much about suspensions though.

What is there out there that is cheap that could lift my front about 1" to accomodate the mt/r's
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are easy two bolts each one. Need a jack and jack stands, 21mm Deep socket and short, 2 ratchets or wrenches?? Good idea to have a helper too. You replace the factory ones at the rear, one bolt top and a bolt and nut bottom. Get a good greaseable kind!!
drewguere

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen greaseable used in a lot of catalogs, does it mean something special, or does it mean the obvious (grease...able)
Billy's89XJ

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drewguere wrote:
I have seen greaseable used in a lot of catalogs, does it mean something special, or does it mean the obvious (grease...able)

Means the obvious you can grease it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: