Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help:Is my Viscious unit slipping???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbv8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:58 am    Post subject: Help:Is my Viscious unit slipping??? Reply with quote

Hi All Wink ,
I am a newby to this site and J.G.Cherokees so hi again could someone please give me some advice. I have just purchased a 1997 J.G.C ltd automatic i have only had the motor a few days so is still under warranty. My problem is when i try to turn when on full lock it seems to crab and judder is this a sign of v/c slippage and if so is it a major job Shocked . As i said the motor is still under warranty so it's is the garages headache really! When they do repair it can it be bodged as i do not trust garages not saying all garages are the same but i normally do all my own repairs and maintenance. Please any advice and suggestions very very much appreciated. I bought the car on finance and am not really happy with it having only had it a short while and have problems allready! Am i right in saying i have to give them the option of repairing it as if i had my way i would cancel the agreement and walk away Confused !

Last edited by cbv8 on Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a VC to me.. Since its under warranty bring it back to them and make them fix it... dont believe any of their crap about how its normal.. It is not.... It is not super hard to fix but I would just swap the T-case out with a new one... Or maybe a 242...

Good luck..

Oh and Welcome aboard... Mr. Green

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cbv8

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks thumbs for the quick reply muchness appreciatus the motor will be going back to the garage asap but is there any sure way of testing the v/c without dimantling it? Also i have a rear lamp fail warning sounding which has just appeared the only problem is all the lamps are working fine how do i reset this annoying fault? Also the drivers mirror resets itself to another position every time i unlock the motor i have reset this several times what am i doing wrong are these common faults or is it me just being a dope? Also this is really the last question for a bit anyway Smile does the J.G.C suffer from axle failure due to bearings breaking up ie made of alloy or is it a load of nonsense pull hair
P.S Great site bowdown
brada7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jeep is suposed to reset the mirrors and seat for you. Each key fob for is programable. (somehow) Mine doesnt but my sisters did. Also try checking your license plate lights if one of those are out it will give you a rear lamp failure signal. The Info center rechecks to see if the light is out each time you start it up. So the only way to make it shut up is to find the bad light and replace the bulb. Good Luck.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also ...There are 2 bulbs in the 3rd brake light .. Make sure they are both good..

Ditto the mirrors and..I have never heard the bearing issue problem...
Unless you are talking about the dana 44A (rear axle..) its not the bearing that wears out in them its the axle housing itself.. It cant handle the heat and it gets loose when its old..

The only real way to check the VC is drive it around in circles. If it feels like it bucks or jerks ..........ITs bad.... Confused

Carl

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cbv8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have this morning checked all the bulbs you mention and all ok so i am at a loss as what else to try Crying or Very sad I have just sent for the Haynes Workshop manual for my motor lets see if that sheds any light probably not thanks again for the advice Wink As far as the mirrors go they have not moved on there own since sending the last message don't tell me my motor is possessd Shocked I will let you know how it goes and what the garage says should be fun Rolling Eyes
cbv8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again thumbs ,
Just an up date to let you know how things have gone took my motor to a Chrysler dealer today for them to test drive it and give me there verdict on the juddering. And the chap who test drove it said thers was not a problem and it was due to the tyre size scuffing not slippage of the v/c. He seemed to know what he was talikng about and he had been working for Chrysler for over 10 years so pretty well experienced i would think bowdown . Anyway his advice was to change all the axle g.box+filter and t/box fluids asap as he thought they may have been missed and to be on the safe side he even quoted oil viscosities to me and the additives they add. I also mentioned the rear lamp warning which he said he had come across a few times so of which were a mystery. His quick fix solution which he said never fails is to add another bulb in the hi brake light area as to increase the resistance. I will be doing those little jobs hopefully this week and will let you know if his advice pays off ???
MaineZJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a 97.... do the turning test again, then take out your front driveshaft and repeat - see if it operates different each time.
cbv8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thumbs i have never worked on these motors and know very little about them, is it a big job removing the front driveshaft or do you mean just disconnect it Confused Do you think the mechanic was talking out of his backside he seemed very knowledgable on Jeeps and there various problems.
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 4 8mm bolts holding the drive shaft on at the T case ...

Then 4 more at the diff..

That is all...

Ditto Maine ZJ...
Tight turns in a parking lot.. THen take it off and repeat...

cbv8

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thumbs ,
Thanks for that just like my old Rangie then would it hurt if i ran it with this off and then replace when offroading or would it damage somthing Confused
Told you i knew very little about J.G.Cs i was told not to remove the front driveshaft on the R.Rover as it handles very very weird and is quite dangerous Shocked
swamp boy
Cherokee Muderator
Cherokee Muderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre 97 you cannot run without front Shaft ..It is very bad for t-case..

97 and newer .. No sweat.. Pull it and be happy.. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Grand Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: