Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Ideas For A New Owner?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbeach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Any Ideas For A New Owner? Reply with quote

Just bought my 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4dr, 4wd from my dad. Has 69K on it and runs great. Not sure on what to do with it yet, short on income being a cashier and all. Already put in a new battery, insurance downpayments ($2400+/year) and some 235/75R15 Bridgestone Duelers AT. Only "performance mod" would be a higher flowing Fram Air Hog air filter. Also put in a Panasonic CD/MP3 player that was $170.
My only plans would be fog lights, tow hooks, and easy cheap performance modifications, no lifts, etc. Any help would be appreciated. Very Happy
drewguere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I have a similar jeep, 98 2 door 65k...

go to C4x4 for your tow hooks, i will get u a link sometime soon.

Did you have a factory CD Player before you bought the upgraded one, I have the factory one, but it wont read any burnt CD's. I am trying to figure outy how to get a nicer one in there without messing with the other controls (radio, tape, balancer...)
majikxms

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, tow hooks are good. I don't get to promote myself to many times, but I can't miss an opportunity.

http://www.fm2cd.com/98XJ/C4x4TowHooks.htm

Hope that helps.

Click here for the tow hook brackets.
bbeach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drewguere wrote:
Nice. I have a similar jeep, 98 2 door 65k...

go to C4x4 for your tow hooks, i will get u a link sometime soon.

Did you have a factory CD Player before you bought the upgraded one, I have the factory one, but it wont read any burnt CD's. I am trying to figure outy how to get a nicer one in there without messing with the other controls (radio, tape, balancer...)

No, I had the cassette player, (still do). Worked fine but i can only listen to the same stuff on the radio till it gets boring. As for tow hooks, I figure maybe someone like UHaul could install them for me or something. But the thing i think that i need most is some money so i'll have to save up before i get this jeep going.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if u-haul would install tow hooks. You can install them yourself with basic hand tools. Check out the link above that majikxms posted...it's his writeup on the install of the C4x4 towhooks that he and I did on his Jeep.

For fog lights, don't spend a lot of money. If you're wheeling it, they will break and (if you drop wads of $$$ on the lights) you'll be upset when they do. Just get some cheapo ones at Walmart or something.

As far as performance mods, most of it is snake oil when it comes to the 4.0L...including Fram Air Hogs. I ran a K&N (same thing) for awhile and it did absolutley nothing for performance. My advice would be to just keep it tuned up and change the fluids/filters regularly. One other thing you can do is install/have installed an aux. transmission cooler. For every 20 degrees you lower the transmission temp, you'll double the life of the transmission. Not bad for $50 worth of parts and an afternoon getting your hands dirty. If the Jeep has the towing package it's already got one.

That's all I can think of....

HTH

Steve

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junkyard for tow hooks...me and stevo found a good set...10 bucks i think he paid for them...yea i know check quality i did and they looked fine
bbeach

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought and installed a new pair of Sylvania Silverstars. Pretty nice and surely help ligthen the road. Now is there any way I can simply attach a tow hook on the factory mounts if there are any? Because i was looking underneath and noticed some drilled holes that looked like they were for tow hooks. I figure maybe i can go to the local jeep dealer and get factory ones if i need to.
drewguere

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the ones from C4x4, they mount to the frame, and they have frame supports so they will rip out a lot harder. If you mount tow hooks to two holes in the frame, they are going to rip right out if you get a your jeep nice n' stuck. Get the C4x4 ones...safety first...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Cherokee Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: