Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2004 TJ Rocky Mountain Lift needs

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Towerassoc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: 2004 TJ Rocky Mountain Lift needs Reply with quote

I have a 2004 Rocky Mountain TJ, and would like to have 33X12.50x15 added. I have been told I need a 3.5 RE Suspension Lift, which is $1200.00 installed at Central 4 wheel.
My question is will they rubb at all? and is the price right?

Bil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo put 4 inch superlift on his...he instaled himself but i think he said it was like 700 bucks or so...not positive but you could save money doing it yourself
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably won't rub the fenders when flexing, but may or may not rub suspension components while turning depending on the wheels you choose to run with them. That can be fixed easily though. Is $1200 for the basic kit or the Superflex? If it's the SF one, it doesn't seem that bad of a deal, if it's the basic one, I'd either do it yourself or find someone locally to help out. No sense in paying double the price for labor and all.
Towerassoc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Wheels are 15x8 Reply with quote

The wheels are the stock wheels that come with the Rocky Mountain, 15x8 Alco.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the backspacing on them, I thought the Alcoa wheels offered were 16x8's, but I could be wrong (you have the Jeep not me Mr. Green ). Anyways, you'd be looking at 5~5.5" of backspacing which is not gonna allow 12.50's to be functional. You're gonna rub the control arms when turning and the rear tires are gonna be dangerously close to the upper spring perches (could end up with a sliced tire). Either quality wheel spacers or different wheels with more (numerically smaller) backspacing will fix it for ya. I run the factory 15x8's with 12.50s, but use 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers to get me to about 4.25" of bs, which still gets a little rubbing up front at full lock.
Towerassoc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Back Spacing Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.
The Rocky Mountain comes with the Alcoa 15x8 wheel and I check my back spacing and it's 5.5". The Spidetreax spacers 1.25 will get me to 4.25BS, but at a cost of about 275.00. What size wheel woud you recommed so I don't have to use the Back Spacers?
Thanks
Bill
ehirner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Back Spacing Reply with quote

Towerassoc wrote:
Thanks for the info.
The Rocky Mountain comes with the Alcoa 15x8 wheel and I check my back spacing and it's 5.5". The Spidetreax spacers 1.25 will get me to 4.25BS, but at a cost of about 275.00. What size wheel woud you recommed so I don't have to use the Back Spacers?
Thanks
Bill

You would use the same size wheel but with backspacing equivalent to what the Alcoas + spacers provide. New wheels, unless you go with cheap steel wheels which I don't recommend, will cost more than the spacers.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, black steelies are what's fav with the kids today (just kidding before a steel wheel posse lynches me Mr. Green ), they're cheap ($35~50 a wheel), but they're cheap. Take that for what it's worth. I ran a set of them back in the day and just ain't a big fan. Some folks love 'em, a lot actually...me and Erik and the non silent minority. Problem with a good set of 15x8 aluminum's is that they're gonna be expensive for one and there isn't much of a backspacing option. Just about all I've seen recently are 3.75", which is just more than I'd want (been there, done that too, I've wasted a ton of cash Wink ). You can always just go with a 16x8 if you want alloys. Can be had in 4.5"bs and you can actually get a 33x11.50 which would keep the tires tucked pretty flush to the flares if that's an issue where you're at. It is around us Rolling Eyes . Anyways, I opted for the spacers because of legality issues (technically I have to be illlegal to be legal here, but let's not start on that), finances wouldn't allow me to purchase new 16" wheels and tires at the time, and I just like the look of the Canyon's I got.
1fox2go

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont get the wheel spacers...it puts lots of stress on bearings and such...mickey thompson wheels look good and they arent that high priced...check ebay for aftermarket wims
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
dont get the wheel spacers...it puts lots of stress on bearings and such...mickey thompson wheels look good and they arent that high priced...check ebay for aftermarket wims

Explain to me how they place more stress on bearings and such. How are running spacers (good one's, not the 'Pep Boy ricer specials') any different than running the equivalent backspaced wheel. Example, spacers + Canyons vs. a wheel with 4.25" backspacing. The only downfall I see is that there are now five more mounting points per hub in place. Like I said, I would really enjoy hearing how they're worse than a similar wheel because of all my time reading boards, usually someone gives the same advice and more than not it's 'I read it there, so and so said so, et al'. Not busting balls, just curious.
ThePhantum
Pissed-Off Admin
Pissed-Off Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious too. Echoing what 'drack said, the only reason I don't like them is because they add five more mounting points, essentailly doubling the points of failure at the wheels....but with a good quality set that's not even a problem. Basically you get what you pay for. Spending $2-300 on a high quality set of wheel spacers is still cheaper than $500+ on a good set of alloy wheels. So if you really like your existing rims and need more (actually it's less) backspace, why not use them?

My $0.02

97 XJ Sport with a bunch of stuff
Quote:
Never argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1fox2go wrote:
dont get the wheel spacers...it puts lots of stress on bearings and such...

1.25" wheel spacers with stock wheels (having 5.5" backspacing) put no more stress on the hubs, knuckles, balljoints, and any other parts than wheels with 4"-4.5" of backspacing. Nice try but you're wrong.
Towerassoc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Back spacers Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information,

I have talked to more people, and they say not to add the flex kit unless I plan on a lot of off road, as it changes the way the jeep handles and makes it fell lose in the front, as I like the way the Jeep handles now and the only reason to add bigger tires are look's and maybe 1 1/2" more, I was told I cound put 31x10.5x15 Goodyear wrangle MTR and get the look with out any lift at all or back spacers. If I get any rubb at all I can add spring spacers of 1 inch and not effect the handling?
My question is:
Can I put 31 on the jeep without any lift at all?
If I add 1" spring spacers can I go to a larger tire?
Will 31" fit on the spare tire carrier?
to go cheep with a gas can carrier any recomendations?

Thanks
Bill
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Back spacers Reply with quote

Towerassoc wrote:
I have talked to more people, and they say not to add the flex kit unless I plan on a lot of off road, as it changes the way the jeep handles and makes it fell lose in the front, as I like the way the Jeep handles now

Loose? no

Quote:
My question is:
Can I put 31 on the jeep without any lift at all?
Yes
Quote:
If I add 1" spring spacers can I go to a larger tire?
Not really. 1" spacers aren't going to do much.
Quote:
Will 31" fit on the spare tire carrier?
Yes
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds from what you're describing right now that 31's might be the best way to go. Get a good AT or MT and have a go at the trails like that for awhile. If you wanna go bigger, you've been doing your research and should have a solid idea of what you really need (as opposed to the cookie cutter TJ on 33's). Even if it's only a couple months down the road, it's better to eat a couple bucks on selling the tires used than dumping a grand or so on lift and tires and sye and gears and skids and steering and brakes to find out you don't like driving the Jeep any more.

As far as the lift advice goes, I can't possibly see how the Superflex kit would make the steering loose. It comes with control arms which would correct the wheelbase from lifting it. Put coils that measure 4" taller than stock and it's gonna create some nifty angles on the stock arms essentially 'pulling the axles closer together' resulting in a loss of wheelbase. Not a 10" loss, but enough to notice some handling and ride quality deficencies. When I added adjustables to my old 3.5" coils it made a world of difference. Now I want longarms to correct for the taller coils I have now. The only possible 'loose' steering issue I can see is if you don't use an adjustable front trackbar. You'll have steering issues with the 3.5(which really give ya about 4)" coils. Just saying take everything you hear with a grain of salt, everyone has an opinion, but not many have a right answer or experience Smile .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: