Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I6 getting too long in the tooth?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shayhurs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject: I6 getting too long in the tooth? Reply with quote

It seems to me the venerable I6 engine is about due to be put out to pasture.

Should we expect to see a V series (6-8 BIGGER?! (Twisted Evil)) powerplant?

How about a hybrid or a CRD diesel? The wrangler seems a great candidate for it.

'95 Wrangler (RIP)
'03 TJ Sport
ehirner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll see the 3.7L V6 from the KJ and WK in the next major revision.
machin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the local Jeep dealer here in Washington state and was told that the I6 in the Wrangler will be gone as of the 2005 model due to failure to meet increasing federal pollution standard requirements. Starting in 2006, the Wrangler will have the same 3.7L V6 as in the Liberty. He also went on to say that the TJ Wrangler line may be discontinued with final year 2007 due to a number of factors.

On a side note, I went to the dealer to test drive the new diesel engine Liberty. Dealer said that Jeep would produce 5000 this year for testing the waters and future application. The diesel engine is a good idea except for the price of fuel. Here in Washington, diesel average price is over $2.70 a gallon. Even with the better mileage of the diesel, it would take about 10 years (current prices) to break even with the cost of the regular 3.7L gas engine, taking into account higher diesel cost, additional diesel engine package cost, and mileage comparison. Just not worth it and the dealer did not disagree.
greenbean

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Discontinue the wrangler? Reply with quote

If the wrangler line was discontinued,.....what is the world coming to. I assume they will introduce something to replace it, probally some IFS double wishbone German idea of what we want crap,....sorry don't like that Germany controls an American car company,....
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TJ will be discontinued, just as the YJ and CJ were. What is gonna replace it is the million dollar question. I've heard lots of speculation thus far, but that's all it is, just speculation. Gonna have to wait to it's closer to a new model launch to get any real concrete details on the TJ replacement, but there will be a shortwheelbased Jeep in the line.....hopefully still with solid axles in both ends.
shayhurs

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: I6-a-bye-bye Reply with quote

Speculation has been rampant:

A 4 door Wrangler (WHY?!); the Rescue version (which is pretty cool looking); new body design coming out when the new factory goes on-line, so no 2006 model year wrangler (of course we've seen that done before)...

Bottom line is they (D/C) are not TOTALLY stupid (Rolling Eyes ), so we'll end up with something--Which of course should scare us I suppose.

After all, with fuel prices being what they are and the mindset in Detroit being what it is, it makes perfect sense to produce a squared off, two person Wrangler with a pair of 5L V8 hemis getting 4mpg (downhill, with a 30 knot tailwind) Confused

NOTE: It would be a HELLUVA LOT OF FUN to drive... ONCE... Wink

Regardless, the Wrangler needs powerplant OPTIONS Shocked like every other vehicle:

You want a hybrid?, Drop it in.
You want diesel? Drop in the diesel.
You want gas? Pick a size (4/6/8/rocket booster Twisted Evil ) and drop it in.

NOTE: I haven't looked that close here in Kirkland at the cost of diesel, but $2.70 sounds high. I've got a Shell in Kenmore that knocks 6 cents a gallon off their fuel prices on Sundays between 8-4 so I take a sip or two during the week as needed, then tank up on Sunday.

'95 Wrangler (RIP)
'03 TJ Sport
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TJ Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: