Forum Index
Jeep Horizons HomeLinksJeep Horizons Tech Write-upsJeep newsLand useContact

Watched TopicsWatched Topics   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aftermrket head unit in '00 TJ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Aftermrket head unit in '00 TJ... Reply with quote

K, after five years my OEM cd player stopped on me. I'd be fine with that, but there's nothing, nadda, zilch, zippo as far as a decent radio station around here anymore. So....I went out and picked up a new one today. Got the dash kit and wiring harness and it's all hooked up and working and I can listen to my music of the ultraviolence on my way to work again...yay. Problem I'm having is with that V-shaped mounting bar that's attached to the factory unit and then mounts on either side up near the windshield. Hope that description makes sense, I don't feel like digging out the fsm cd to figure out the name of it. Anywho, the new unit has a bit more depth to it then the original guy did, to the point where the thing is sticking out ever so slightly. I tried 'gently' bending it a bit and altering the upper two mounting positions a bit and it's pretty damn close now, but just not right. I'm not a perfectionist, but I can already sense that this is gonna drive me nuts every time I look at it. Any suggestions if any of this made sense Wink ?

BTW, I hate the fact that I just spent money on non-functional improvements, but I just can't stand the local airwaves Mr. Green .
ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to cut a piece off that piece to install my head unit in the 04. I don't really want to make any more suggestions unless I see it in person.
quadna71

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keith,
do you really need to use it to mount the new one? if not - just pull the bracket out and be done with it. two 13mm nuts hold it to the windshield bracket and it's gone. or if you really need to use it...pull it out and be creative with it and the bench vise - maybe putting an "S" shape in the straight section of each leg of the V. just an idea.
chris

ehirner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quadna71 wrote:

Great pic Chris. The piece that sticks out to the right, I had to cut mine off. It also sticks forward (with orientation of the pic) and I couldn't bolt the head unit and that brace together. So I cut it off and everything went together perfect then.
'drack
▲▼webwheeler▼▲
▲▼webwheeler▼▲

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, the way it's mounted, basically that bar is the only thing keeping it in place. I knew I shoulda got the "CG fit" head unit outta Crutchfield Wink . Erik, I'll try and get together with ya to check it out...ya know how successful that's been Wink Mr. Green . What I did so far was push the head unit in with the two nuts on the top of the dash loose letting the bracket slide around. When I had it relatively flush, I done went and tightened the little varmits down. If the weather breaks soon, I'll take it apart again and give it a go, but it was getting dark and raining when I got around to doing this today....isn't it spring yet?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Electronic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: